PDA

View Full Version : What is your real profession...

Cocoon
12-10-2011, 10:58 AM
...and do you miss going to work and have an adult conversation?

Cocoon

lori123
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I have a Bachelor of Science in Chemistry and worked many years in both food and pharmaceutical industries. After having my second child, I did not want to return to my job because it was a childish and toxic environment....it made me feel physically ill when I would think about returning after mat leave. After a second child, my priorities seemed to shift from career to "being there for my kids" and I realized I did not want to work many hours only to see my own kids at nighttime and weekends.

I started out with an agency watching their children and then realized that I could make more money in my pocket, set my hours better, and choose which child and set of parents that I wanted to work with by going privately. I enjoy it much more this way but eventually think that once my own children grow up more and won't need their own daycare then I may try to go back to the "rat race" instead of commuting to my living room! :) Time will tell.

As far as adult conversation - I don't miss the backstabbing politics of an office setting and I have found a group of care givers that we often get together and see each other at various centres and parks.

It will be interesting to read what other people post .... thanks for starting an interesting topic!

Play and Learn
12-10-2011, 07:08 PM
I am an ECE by trade (currently an RECE), have my BA in Religious Studies and Music, and took Office Administration 2 years ago (for business side of things). I also have qualifications to teach Highland Dancing (in which I own my own dance school).

I do miss adult conversation, but don't miss the politics of working in a center! I enjoy being my own boss, choosing MY hours, and MY rules! :)

Bugaboo
12-10-2011, 10:35 PM
I have a BA in English Literature but I used to work in finance. I don't miss my old business life at all!

playfelt
12-11-2011, 02:13 PM
My training is in teaching BA/B.Ed concurrent. I did ECE courses while we were posted in Cape Breton (hubby is military) back at a time when it could be done by correspondance and didnt' require extensive practicums if you prior experience or were a parent. Yes I know it has changed many times since but much of the basic book work still applies. In realilty my teaching degree comes into play more in the sense of when I trained (graduated 1981) the learning of colours, letters, numbers, etc was the kindergarten program and JK was only beginning to be offered in some larger schools. Now that same curriculum is what we teach to 2-3 year olds not 5 year olds.

In a sense then I am still being true to my training just doing it in a home environment rather than a school. Would I ever go back to school - not now the politics would do me in after 25 years of being my own boss. What I will do as I wind down my daycare is ramp up my feltboard business and workshops I do for caregivers built around the felt.

I'm a litle surprised that no one has commented yet on the original question in terms of how it was worded. My "real profession" is home daycare provider. Did I have a previous profession or will I change professions in the future maybe. But to be a good provider you need to see what you are doing now as your profession - your purpose in life and not a stop gap measure. I'm sure nothing negative was meant by the wording so no offence taken.

dodge__driver11
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
I read that and wanted to say something, but I have bigger fish to fry...

Play and Learn
12-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm a litle surprised that no one has commented yet on the original question in terms of how it was worded. My "real profession" is home daycare provider. Did I have a previous profession or will I change professions in the future maybe. But to be a good provider you need to see what you are doing now as your profession - your purpose in life and not a stop gap measure. I'm sure nothing negative was meant by the wording so no offence taken.

Now that you state that....I guess I didn't really read the question very well!

My profession is Home Daycare Provider (am a RECE). BUT I did train to become one (as I wanted to be a home daycare provider after I had children myself, but that quickly changed).

mamaof4
12-11-2011, 07:08 PM
my first thought was the title of the thread!

lori123
12-11-2011, 08:48 PM
I think Cocoon meant, "what was your original profession?" instead of "real profession" and didn't mean anything negative by it. I certainly did not feel it was insulting or upsetting at all.

At the moment, I am providing good quality home daycare but have no formal training other than being a Mom myself and attending some workshops. Eventually, I think I would like to go back to a job outside the home once my children are a bit older and able to look after themselves after school. I enjoy what I am doing now and its worked out well, paid the bills, and I managed to have more family time this way while my kids are young.

Cocoon
12-11-2011, 10:55 PM
As lori123 said, I really didn't mean to offend you guys. What I meant was "your original profession". What did you studied or what work did you do before you decided to open a daycare? Sorry if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention.

Thank you for your responses.
Cocoon

LittleMunchkins
12-12-2011, 01:05 PM
For me:

Developmental Service Worker
Personal Trainer
Chiropractic Health Assistant
and currently in school part time nights for two years to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist.

LittleMunchkins
12-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Apparently I am having trouble deciding what I want to be when I grow up!

jodaycare
12-12-2011, 01:11 PM
I knew at a young age (11) what I wanted to do as my career. I have always loved children and I must say that that I have a "way" with them! I planned my high school courses around getting into the ECE program and graduated from Humber College in 1990. I am proud of my accomplishments and display my diploma proudly on the daycare room wall. I worked in a centre for two and a half years before having my daughter and when she was 6 mths old I quit my job at the centre and opened my home daycare. The rest as they say is history.

lilac
12-12-2011, 09:24 PM
I have an HBSc in Zoology & Marine Biology... I had planned to move to the west coast when I finished school however boyfriend, now husband wanted to stay here in Ontario, so I took a job at an Insurance Company as an Accident Benefits Adjuster which I was miserable in. Then I retrained as a Dental Assistant.... when I had my first child I fully intended on going back to work but then just couldnt leave him. I was a SAHM for 4 years before starting the daycare when my husband lost his job. I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up although there is a huge new aquarium being built in Toronto which I am beyond excited about!

Nifer
12-13-2011, 06:55 AM
I still dont know what I want to be when I grow up although there is a huge new aquarium being built in Toronto which I am beyond excited about!

Oooo, really??? That's exciting! Any ideas on when it will be started/completed?

Sandbox Sally
12-13-2011, 08:46 AM
The aquarium is scheduled to be completed by summer 2013. They've already started construction on it.

Daycare123
12-13-2011, 11:40 AM
I had a problem with the title of this thread as well. I have a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education and Child Development- This IS my real profession- it was NOT a back-up plan.

Now that I have said that-do I miss working out of my home?-sometimes I definitely do. But when my baby gets here-I think being able to be home with my own children will be well worth any sacrifices I may have had to make in order to be able to work at home :)

lori123
12-13-2011, 09:38 PM
re: Daycare123: I had a problem with the title of this thread as well. I have a Bachelors Degree in Early Childhood Education and Child Development- This IS my real profession- it was NOT a back-up plan.....

Laughs, let's take it easy daycare123.... Cocoon meant "what was your original profession?" ...some of us had varying backgrounds and she wanted to start an interesting forum....is there any way we can change the title to the thread so the poor woman isn't yelled at anymore?? :) Hugs to Cocoon!

Let's all relax about this! ;) and laughs, I'm 40 and I still don't know what I will be when I do grow up.....if I ever do! :)

Daycare123
12-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Ummm...I wasn't "yelling". Hahaha! There isn't even a mere exclamation mark in my post...you'll notice my post ends with a smile :) as will this one.

:)

lori123
12-14-2011, 07:37 AM
that is good to know no one was yelling....i just saw bold caps and read it as yelling....ok, let's all agree - we all are friends, who come from various backgrounds, and cultures but must have a touch of insanity in all of us to voluntarily watch children all day long! :) ....let's change topics now! :)

Daycare123
12-14-2011, 09:14 AM
Lori123 - so true! :)

Cocoon
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Again and the last time. I did not intended to offend anyone. From the posts on here I get the impression that most of us are doing this so that they can stay at home with their children(nothing wrong with that) and I just post to find out what every ones professions were before they decided to open a dayhome and stay with their kids(again nothing wrong with that). I hope you would understand and if you really feel offended and get angry with my post please feel free to not to comment. That is what I'm doing. If I see a post I don't like I don't read simple.

I don't understand why some of you taking this in a wrong way even after I explained my intention. May be you guys over tired and over sensitive. I have no problem if/when people ask me what is/was my real profession.

I have received very supportive messages from some of you advising me not to bother with such comments. Thank you all for your lovely messages. My intention was just to post an easy subject so we could chat on here. I thought it would be nice to talk about something else apart from children that's all.

Can we please move on? Admin, is it possible to remove the post please?

Thank you again for your comments and I apologize if I upset anyone.

Have a lovely day.
Cocoon

playfelt
12-14-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't think anyone on here meant anything negative about what they posted other than to comment. I guess for too many of us we have had to defend our postion of staying at home instead of out in the "real world with a real job" and as a result when anyone suggests even indirectly that what we do isn't a real job it sort of hurts. Don't take offence because nothing posted was directed at you personally. All of the comments were about getting frustrations out about how other people perceive daycare providers. Your original question does invoke a lot of thinking. Just what is my profession, how has it changed from the past and where is it going for the future. Don't delete the thread, let's embrace it and look forward.

mom-in-alberta
12-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Yes, as per usual... what Playfelt said. hahaha
I wanted to be an elementary school teacher before I had kids. Life got in the way, as it sometimes does!! :)
I was working in retail management. Evenings, weekends. Not condusive to family scheduling. I also worked in adult education, again on the weekends, boo. I drove a school bus for a year, but didn't want to be without income for the summer. Then I worked as a courier for a bit.

And I agree that many of us feel defensive about our choice to provide childcare, because it is usually ridiculously undervalued and underappreciated. But we all know how important we are, and thats the main thing, right gals??

Skysue
12-15-2011, 12:42 PM
Previous Job:
'No, you can't put your bag in the hatrack.
It'll have to go on the floor,
And I'm sorry you can't put it there, Sir,
You see, that's an emergency door.

I'm sorry, this isn't your seat, Ma'am.
It belongs to this gentleman here.
And your son's just removed all the oxygen masks.
Yes, isn't he a dear.

I'm sorry, I don't have pesetas,
But I do have change of a dollar,
And I'm dreadfully sorry the plane gave a lurch
And I spilled that beer on your collar.

I'm afraid, Sir, we've run out of bourbon.
You'll settle for a whisky sour?
Miss, when are we going to get there?
Two hours ago, you told me an hour.

Now the purser comes down from the galley,
Having finished his backgammon game,
Says, '23A wants a couple of beers.
Here, you take them, er - Whatsyourname.

Now I'm sitting in the galley,
Massaging my aching feet,
When a head pokes itself round the curtain,
And says, 'Miss, my son's wet his seat.'

At last London is looming beneath us,
And the 'plane is touching down.
And they're scrambling for the exits
Before the wheels hit the ground.

Now I'm standing in the doorway,
And smiling and saying 'Goodbye'
And I'm so relieved that it's over
That I wonder why I fly.

New job:
Although I'm not their mother
I care for them each day,
I cuddle, sing and read to them
And watch them as they play.
I see each new accomplishment,
I help them grow and learn.
I understand their language,
I listen with concern.
They come to me for comfort,
And I kiss away their tears.
They proudly show their work to me,
I give the loudest cheers!
No, I 'm not their mother,
But my role is just as strong.
I nurture them and keep them safe,
Though maybe not for long.
I know someday the time will come,
When we will have to part.
But I know each child I cared for,
Is forever in my heart!

Still amazing multi tasker!

sunnydays
12-15-2011, 08:04 PM
Skysue...I love it!!! Did you write all that yourself? Now I understand your name :) What a great positive way of looking at our professions. Thank you for posting this!

Skysue
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
No I got both poems on line! I wish I had time to write them but sadly I don't have a super power. Anyone else feelin exhusted this winter?

Skysue...I love it!!! Did you write all that yourself? Now I understand your name :) What a great positive way of looking at our professions. Thank you for posting this!

Play and Learn
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyone else feelin exhusted this winter?

So exhausted! And there's not even any snow yet!!!! I'm praying for some snow....

sunnydays
12-16-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm praying for snow too! Mud and rain is no fun to play in...well at least not for the one who has to clean up the mess! Snow is so much better!

mamaof4
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
I am sure cocoon meant no harm by this post.

If she would like me to lock it I will be happy too- but I did not see anyone getting upset- more tongue in cheek