PDA

View Full Version : Am I in the wrong

Skysue
12-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi ladies,

I have a daycare child who has been sick off and on in the past few weeks. She had the flu 10 days ago and then it dominod down through my daycare & then my family this weekend. She came yesterday and didn’t eat, as she seemed under the weather. When she arrived today she was herself but still no appetite still and she had the runs, it was very smelly like bile and I called her parents and they seemed very non-shallont about the whole situation. I called them at 8am and she wasn’t picked up until 1pm and it wasn’t by her parents. I had to disinfect everything after she left, as my fear is another possible strain of the flu. She also had the runs twice in the 5 hours she was with me!

Does this make me over the top or what?

playfelt
12-20-2011, 06:27 PM
This close to Christmas I can totally understand taking whatever precautions you want to. The fact it has been 10 days and she is showing signs again is a clear warning sign that she didn't get totally well the first time as that tends to be the return timeframe or as you say actually came into contact with a different virus while sick the first time. Either way she sounds like she needs to go home and hopefully sleep it off. You don't say how old the child is because that might make a difference in what you would expect in terms of how they coped. Hoping she was in diapers. The not eating could also be a thoat or ear infection and that being swallowed could cause the stomach issues.

Skysue
12-20-2011, 08:17 PM
This close to Christmas I can totally understand taking whatever precautions you want to. The fact it has been 10 days and she is showing signs again is a clear warning sign that she didn't get totally well the first time as that tends to be the return timeframe or as you say actually came into contact with a different virus while sick the first time. Either way she sounds like she needs to go home and hopefully sleep it off. You don't say how old the child is because that might make a difference in what you would expect in terms of how they coped. Hoping she was in diapers. The not eating could also be a thoat or ear infection and that being swallowed could cause the stomach issues.

She is 2 and I have parents who aren't sending there little one due to the flu being present last Friday. I always feel like they are blaming me even if thats not the case! :(

I'm exhasted from disenfecting everything!

sunnydays
12-21-2011, 07:08 AM
If they have diahrea they should not be at daycare period. I now have it in my contract that parents must come within an hour of being called. That is not fair to you or the other kids. How would they feel if it was another child who was sick and left at daycare all day exposing their litte one?

greenborodaycare
12-21-2011, 08:14 AM
I understand how you feel about disinfecting everything. It is totally exhausting. In my daycare if parents want to bring their kids sick that's fine but I make it clear they will be totally isolated from everyone else and wont be allowed to join in on anything we do. It does upset me when some of them say that's fine they will bring them anyway. It makes me feel like they don't care about their kids and I feel sorry for the children. As for picking them up late when I call when they are really sick like throwing up and stuff, that's only happened to me once and I ignored it but it REALLY bothered me a lot. So I understand. And I don't think your over the top at all.
Another thing that really bugs me is when my family is affected by their sickness. That's why I also put in the rule that the kids are not allowed to be all over the house anymore but in the special designated daycare area. If parents don't like it they can go somewhere else. My family is more important.

Judy Trickett
12-21-2011, 01:02 PM
How come you called them at 8 am and it took them FIVE hours to pick her up? That would get them terminated around here. when a child is sick they are to be picked up within half an hour.

A sick child is the responsibility of the PARENT, not the dcprovider.

jewel1122
12-21-2011, 02:58 PM
5 Hours to pick up their child after being called that is horriable and really uncalled for i think the parent better wake up at give their head a shake cause what ever they were doing that took them so long im sure was NOT more important than their poor sick child

Skysue
12-21-2011, 04:45 PM
Ladies I agree with you 100%, I was fuming yesterday and had to call them several times to step things up. In short she came today and her stool is firmer but she is still not eating 100% & her Mom asked I feed her breakfast earlier. They can't get her to eat at home and now it's some how an issue on me. What gets me is these parents are my earliest drop off and latest pick up, usually in my experience the most challenging of parents.

Judy I wish I could have terminated as this child is also quite aggressive and has a terrible temper. They are supposed to be getting new care in January and I do need to re visit this info with the Mom. Hubby maybe getting laid off in 2 weeks so I don't want to let go until I can fill the space. As difficult my days are I do need to look after my family's interest 1st and that is one of the drawbacks of this job! :(
I’m starting to burn out fast!

Finding amazing parents these days can be difficult!

mom-in-alberta
12-24-2011, 03:06 AM
Advertise, Skysue. I would fill that space immediately.
Grrrr, it makes me so mad to hear about cold-fish parents like this. The one that suffers the most in the long run is the kid. :(