PDA

View Full Version : Expired Carseats

ebhappydc
09-11-2017, 09:30 AM
I purchased four good quality carseats from Sears in 2011 and have used them for short trips over the years. I believe they are coming up to expiry date, or have gone past. Am I required to throw them in the landfill now and buy again ?($800+). Seems like such a waste as they still look new and were never in accident. Is it illegal to keep using? Ugh. Does the plastic lose integrity? Thanks. Not sure if my post will show up twice - I tried to submit earlier and it disappeared....

kindredspirit
09-11-2017, 03:40 PM
Yes, it is illegal to use an expired car seat in Ontario (and most places). I know a few years ago it was still legal to use them in Newfoundland (though not recommended). There are some budget friendly seats that consistently rank high in testing, like cosco and evenflo sureride.

BlueRose
09-12-2017, 07:12 AM
They might look fine, however the plastic starts to degrade over time. Once the plastic starts to go they are unsafe to use.

ebhappydc
09-12-2017, 08:01 AM
Thanks. Will check out Costco. That's a lot of big bulky non-recyclable plastic going into our landfills every year.

Van
09-12-2017, 02:45 PM
Thanks. Will check out Costco. That's a lot of big bulky non-recyclable plastic going into our landfills every year.

Check out your local can/bottle recycle place as a few around us take broken toys, old TV's and even old car seats, it is worth checking with them first , or even call your city recycle centre.

ebhappydc
09-12-2017, 04:11 PM
Great idea!

Van
09-12-2017, 08:18 PM
I had to bring a few cans back to a few places and ask them in person what each recycle centre takes as some are better than others