PDA

View Full Version : Nap time

Rockland ECE
09-22-2017, 01:17 PM
Do any home daycare providers allow children not to nap? I have a 3.5 year old who likes to nap...but his mom doesn't want him to because he goes to bed later. I have already agreed to wake him up early (at 2)...and he brings his tablet to bed so he can play games or watch shows. Am I being unreasonable wanting him to nap so I can have a break? Or should I do what mom wants? I also don't think that 8:30 is too late for him to go to bed if he's had a nap during the day. Any thoughts?

SillyGirl_C
09-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Do you have nap time in your contract? You need this time, I can't think of a care provider that doesn't.
Is this the moms only kiddo? Kids need naps, and lots of sleep too. Is the mom trying to get her kid to bed earlier for personal reasons? Regardless...not really your problem. Child naps at your place, required, or it will lead to behavior issues from being overtired in the afternoon. Mom needs to put on her big girl panties and enforce a bedtime.

kindredspirit
09-22-2017, 04:49 PM
I just took on a 2.5yo that doesn't nap, and I have 2 4yo's that also don't nap. The 2.5yo is a little sib of the 4yo I've had for a while (2.5yo was on my waitlist), and he wasn't napping at the previous daycare. After lunch, the 3 oldest get cots out, choose 2 books each, and sit down, while I take the toddlers (1.5 & 2) to the bathroom. The big kids must stay perfectly quiet while I take the tots upstairs to their nap room and settle them in (10 min). Any talking, and they stay on the cots while I do dishes. After they've been quiet for 10 min, if still awake (they might occasionally fall asleep if tired or sick) they can get up and play quietly. If they're noisy after redirection, they go back to their cots. I do my own thing during this time (on the same level as them) and if they bug me they go to their cots. It works. And if I finish the dishes/break and they're being good we often bake something for afternoon snack, or do special art. I like having time with the big kids when littles are sleeping. Plus, our school bus arrives at 2:05 (tots nap 1-3), and 2 come here, so I see no need to force the 3s/4s to nap, when the 5/6s get to play, as long as the nappers are left in peace.

Suzie_Homemaker
09-25-2017, 05:30 AM
Check your provincial regulations. A lot of provinces require a rest period for a child in full day care. That might offer you some backing in saying no. Bottom line though, is you decide what happens in your daycare and if you require the child to rest, so be it. Mom can accept that or move on.