PDA

View Full Version : Immunization Questions

Love&care
11-03-2017, 07:37 PM
Hi,

I am writing my contract for my family daycare. I am new in Canada. I just found out immunization is voluntary in BC. What will you do if you find out some kids doesn't have any vaccine? Will you take a child who doesn't have any vaccine?

kindredspirit
11-04-2017, 07:21 AM
They are voluntary in my province as well. I try to figure out the reasoning (without sounding like it matters). If it's for allergies or medical reasons (preemies, organ issues) then I accept them because all my other children are immunized, so the child that couldn't get the shots benefits from herd immunity. If someone tells me they didn't get them because vaccines are a conspiracy or they don't want autism, then I do not accept the child (and I don't tell them why) because I would anticipate further issues dealing with that parent.

Suzie_Homemaker
11-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Hi,

I am writing my contract for my family daycare. I am new in Canada. I just found out immunization is voluntary in BC. What will you do if you find out some kids doesn't have any vaccine? Will you take a child who doesn't have any vaccine?

They are voluntary here too and it's scary how many people do not immunize. This is something I feel very strongly about as we have a little girl in our lives who has a compromised immune system and relies on herd immunity.

It is my policy that all children are fully immunised here. No exceptions. Client's are required to bring their immunisation records when they start here and they are required to provide proof of immunization during their time here as their child reaches the milestones for the next round of immunizations. This is a very personal decision and it's entirely up to you what you do.

If you want to insist on this, then make it part of your policy and put in place the measures to ensure it actually happens. I have the ability to terminate care, without notice, but with payment in lieu of the notice period, should anyone fall behind on the immunisation schedule.

It's never been an issue here but a lot of my clients work in Public Health and so feel equally as strongly as I do about this.

BlueRose
11-04-2017, 07:21 PM
I will NOT take an non-immunized child. This is due to my own personal beliefs. In Canada a home daycare has the legal right to refuse care to a child who isn't immunized

Exemptions from vaccinations (http://vaccinechoicecanada. com/exemptions/)

At the end of the day you need to do what you are comfortable with.

Busy ECE mommy
11-05-2017, 08:44 AM
I do only take fully immunized kids. I always seem to have sibling duos that have an infant in care or at home with mom while the older one attends during mat leave. The infants are not fully immunized until 18 months, so I always make sure my clients are fully immunized to lessen exposure. Flu shots are optional of course.