PDA

View Full Version : Home Insurance - Ottawa Area

Naftafia
02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
After ten years of being with the same home insurance, I am obliged to change as my current insurance company (Belair), only allows three children for the home daycare. They are unable to provide insurance when the daycare has more than three children.

I have been calling around and will continue to do my research, however wondering if anyone would like to share who they are insured with that covers the typical 5 kids plus your own. As of yet I have found that The Cooperators and State Farm will insure the 5 kids but RBC will count your kids in the alloted 5. The quote received from the cooperators is very high.... I am still waiting on State Farm quote and a brokerage called Powell.

Waiting on your feedback

agesandstagesdaycare
02-24-2011, 12:02 PM
Oh no! We're with Co-operators for insurance so that was who I was hoping ot go with for daycare insurance. SOrry I can't help. :(
GL.

Naftafia
02-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Hey agesandstages I don't know that the price with cooperators is expensive because of the daycare, I think it is simply much more expensive. They quoted my car insurance at a significant amount more than my current rate with Belair as well!

playfelt
02-24-2011, 12:55 PM
We are with Cooperators. We had Allstate but when the group policy the CCPRN had was dropped and we all had to find our own company we had to change as Allstate would only do three. Even then the only options were State Farm and Cooperators. I vaguely remember a couple brokers that would take people but think that has changed since then. We did more house, auto, etc to the same company which lowered our rates. They were cheaper than State Farm at the time but not sure of now.

bluesgirl17
03-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi I ran into the same problem a few weeks ago
I went with Allan Mann Insurance who are brokers so i am now with Gore Ins for $225 a year and that is for 5 children not sure about own children though as mine or all grown.

Emilys4Guppies
03-03-2011, 10:51 AM
RBC told me that my coverage included 5 dk kids, not including my own children. I pay $22/month, I believe.

Naftafia
03-04-2011, 12:32 PM
An update to anyone interested. Cooperators, State Farm and Wawanesa insurance will provide coverage for 5 kids plus your own; with comparable rates. Allstate, RBC, TD insurance and Dominion all indicated that they would not take me on as a new client with the 5 dc kids and 2 of my own. I opted to go with a broker Pentagon Insurance through Wawanesa as it was slightly less than the others, costing 150$ per year for the daycare.

Tot-Time
03-04-2011, 01:38 PM
I am with Aviva (used to be Pilot Insurance). I have been with them for almost 10 years now. They have been amazing for me, my daycare insurance for my house also included my van because I have both my house and van insurance through them.

As for price wise, I am sure they are comparable to the other companies.

GrinsNGiggles
03-06-2011, 07:49 PM
I`m in Ontario. I rent my house and have tenent insurance with liabilty included. Will that cover the daycare kids? Do I need sepereate Daycare insurance? I was told by another daycare provider it would be covered under my tenant coverage but now after reading here I`m not sure anymore.

AliGujjar
08-16-2011, 07:55 AM
belairdirect offers consumers complete solutions for auto and home insurance for over 50 years. In 1997, belairdirect became the first insurance company in North America to offer auto insurance quotes online, directly to customers.

playfelt
08-16-2011, 12:35 PM
Grinsandgiggles, your home insurance won't cover the daycare children nor anything that belongs to the daycare in the event of a claim. This is especially important if you have a basement daycare and run the risk of water damage. Running the daycare is considered a business and needs at minimum a rider put on your home policy that acknowledges that you run a business out of your home. That is what most people have compared to a separate stand alone daycare policy.

oshomom
09-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I am thinking of opening a home daycare. Does anyone know of an insurance company that will insure me with a pool. I have called a few Cooperators being one of them. They said I would have a hard time finding a company that would insure me because of having a pool. the kids dont have access to the pool at all. Its all fenced and locked up. Please help

oshomom
09-13-2011, 09:45 AM
I am thinking of opening a daycare in my home. I am searching for an insurace company that would insure me. But because I have a pool I am having a very hard time. Its completly fenced in and locked but on one wants to insure that. I even tried Cooperators they said it will be hard to find if any exists.

Monday 2 Friday Mama
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Hi Naftafia, I had the identical scenario. I was with Allstate and they only allowed me to care for three daycare babies. I transferred my homeowners insurance to State Farm and it costs me approximately 600 dollars a year more than what I was paying under my old policy. Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions just holler ! =) LOL

mac
05-29-2013, 01:42 PM
hi.....is the aviva the full name of your insurance company?....i would like to give them a call

thxs