Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar

3 year old sneaks into my bed at night

My son is now 3 and won't spend the whole night in his bed. I love to cuddle with him but he moves so much that me or my spouse can't get a good night's sleep with him in our bed. He sneaks in there at around 1:30 am.
    So last night we decided enough is enough. We put him back in his bed each time he got up . I feel so bad hearing him cry in his bed! I know it's what's best for all of us but I feel terrible. How long is he going to wake up crying ?
    I would love some input from those of you who have been through this!
    Thanks in advance.

Shy
    My first child slept in my bed every night until she was 4.5 years old. We had tried everything to get her to sleep in her room by herself but nothing seemed to work. When she started school she became much more independent and was willing to be on her own more. Then her baby sister was born and she understood that she had to be a big girl and sleep in her own bed. My second child, from the very beginning, was never allowed to sleep in my bed. I personally didn't mind my daughter sleeping in my bed but it really bothered my husband.
    Last edited by daycaremom; 02-07-2011 at 11:42 AM. Reason: spelling

Glad to see I am not the only one with this issue lol
    I don't sleep as well with him there but I still don't mind it enough to return him to his room. He's such a cuddly little thing lol
    If it wasn't for my husband I would leave him in our bed for sure. On the bright side, he did stay in his bed all night last night ! we put up a baby gate in his door way .( to avoid him slipping into our bed unnoticed) and when he woke up crying I comforted him and tucked him back in. I stayed with him a minute but left before he fell asleep. Day 1 was a success. Like you said, maybe age has something to do with it. He just turned 3 and insists he is a big boy now lol

Shy
    That was the advice I was going to give you so I am glad to hear night 1 was successful! You could also try a chart where in the morning everytime he has slept in his own bed all night then he gets a sticker or a check mark and after so many (you decide the magic number because only you know your child best) in a row he gets a reward. His reward can be anything you know he would want to work for. Some examples.....treats, his favorite dinner, having a friend come for a playdate, trip to the zoo or other exciting place he likes, shopping for an item at his favorite store again you know your son best so what ever you are comfortable with.
    Our children grow so fast but there are things we have to do to help them grow up because I don't know about you but I would NOT want a teenager crawling into bed with me every night! LOL!!!
    Love: Mrs. Laurie

No Mrs. Laurie, I do not either LOL ! I just have to grow a backbone. He was sick last night , so I let him come in the bed. Back on track tonight though! And I will certainly try what you suggested. I think those are wonderful ideas. Thank you

Starting to feel at home...
    That is hard! I think that bed sharing can be a wonderful experience...but only if it's working for everyone in that bed. Sounds like your time! You can do it, and so can he.

I really like Dr Marc Weissbluth for sleep issues. He's a pediatrician who founded the Sleep Disorders Center at Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago. He's been dealing specifically with children and sleep for more than 35 years (I sound like a commercial for him! LOL!).

http://www.parentsconnect.com/articl...oot-camp.jhtml
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Expansive...
    We co-sleep (bed share) here. But with four kids it gets crowded! Usually by the time the kid is three or so it we try and transition them to their own beds. My 3 y/o (brand new 3) has had a big girl bed for a year but has a hard time staying in it. It just is who she is, she has always needed more snuggling.

One thing that a friend did is put a crib mattress under their bed and pull it out if their DD came in during the night, that way they could be close but not right on top of each other.

you should talk with him, tell some nice stories in his bed, try to make him love his bad.