Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Does anybody provide breakfast & snack only?

I'm planning on opening a home daycare next month and due to so many children having allergies, intolerance/sensitivities, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, as well as those who can only consume Kosher and Halal meats for religious reasons - would it be reasonable to ask parents to provide their child's lunch if I still provide breakfast, as well as an am and pm snack? If I chose to go that route how would that reflect the price if let's say I'm charging $50 hourly?

I provide both breakfast & lunch, as well as both AM & PM snack. My daily rate is in the lower-range of what other home daycares in my city (Winnipeg) charge, & food isn’t that great of a factor in my daily rate. When opening my daycare I decided it would be best to serve foods that I would normally already have in my home, I just buy a little more than I did before. One thing I do let my families know in the interview that I don’t offer extras to meals & snacks, & my portion sizes are a decent amount but if they have a child who has a large appetite to send extra snacks as I won’t provide extra, considering my rate is pretty good for my area. I’ve never really had many occurrences where a child is asking for seconds, as what I give them is almost always enough, & there’s usually food left on their plate. I do still provide nutritious meals & snacks (fruits, veggies, dairy, grain, etc.), & the most unhealthiest thing on my menu is probably a nutrigrain bar which is usually offered for PM snack along with some fruit. One factor in my decision to offer a more reasonable rate was that my training is only as a child care assistant, not ECE like most other established home daycares. I have worked with children my whole life (in daycare as a CCA, & also as a student teacher in elementary school).

As for asking families to provide meals, I think if they were to provide breakfast or lunch I would maybe offer only a slightly lower rate for them, but that is totally at your discretion.
    Last edited by wpgmomma0412; 05-06-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Expansive...
    I provide morning and afternoon snack and a hot lunch. I open at 7:30 so the parents know that I expect the children to have eaten breakfast at home before arriving. We have morning snack at 9 am.
    I do provide a hot lunch but I do not cater to allergies or religious beliefs around food, otherwise I’d be a short order cook. They know that if the child needs exceptions to my menu, then the parent is expected to supply it. That can become very costly and time consuming for the provider to cater to everyone’s individual exceptions to the menu.
    I don’t think there’s a need for breakfast and morning snack unless you open at 6-630am.
    I would think that parents expect lunch and 2 snacks to be provided.
    That is the expectation in my area, but the norms may be different where you live.

Outgoing
    Hi,

I my program includes two snacks and a homemade hot lunch.

I provide food as much as the kids ask. Some eat lots some eat less and as far as what they ask are vegetables; 0 )

Some kids go through growth spurts and they really need their nutrition. I do not ask parents for any extras (I have children with allergies to nuts, eggs and milk)

If it is a religious believe then most likely I would ask them to at least facilitate the protein or cooked meats, I do post my menus in a weekly basis so they can bring their meats or other options. I always keep at least two extra options already cooked in the fridge. Ie. If we do eggs potatoes salad for the kid with egg allergies will be mixed or served with chicken.

So far catering for all the food allergies I have in my care haven't changed my budget in foods. So I have not increased rates.

would it be reasonable to ask parents to provide their child's lunch if I still provide breakfast, as well as an am and pm snack? If I chose to go that route how would that reflect the price if let's say I'm charging $50 hourly?
    The closest rate I've seen to $50 hourly is $47 and $48.50 (hourly, but not just from one family at least 5 families full time enrollment ) in cities that childcare is in huge demand I. E. Toronto and others (basically their rates are between $70 to $85 a day)

That's what I like from homedaycares you can find a variety of services and approached in a homedaycare (creative women;0)

I have met homedaycare owners that practise 100% nature based so their foods are prepared to go and this demands obviously extra time in their prep (their rates reflect that), another homedaycares thst are holistic offering different approaches or curriculums that also include yoga meditation and also menus (vegetarian, vegan, or organic, glutten free, etc) also their rates reflects that, some get special lunches catered from specialized cooks, some also include cloth diapers cleaning service in the daycare also builted in their rate (exclusive washer and dryer just for daycare use installed)

Obviously there isn't a huge market and only some families can afford all these options.

Then another market that I have stumbled upon without knowing, is the increasing stadistics of children with allergies. I have seen many homedaycares in my area do not accept children with allergies, I had the same thoughts (due to inconvenience and extra work etc) well some children in my group either they've develop after using prescribed antibiotics or it was found later they had allergies after they started in my care. I've read learned and currently I cater for that group. (TheRe is a huge demand) and I'm sure your rates can reflect also that.

If you're asking on how low can go your rate if you do not offer lunch, I would say maybe $3 or $5 depending in your lunch valuation. Or you can increase your rate based on the ideas given above;0)
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 05-07-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by StefanieAlise View Post
    I'm planning on opening a home daycare next month and due to so many children having allergies, intolerance/sensitivities, gluten free, vegetarian, vegan, as well as those who can only consume Kosher and Halal meats for religious reasons - would it be reasonable to ask parents to provide their child's lunch if I still provide breakfast, as well as an am and pm snack?
    It depends where you are. The rules are different by province and registered homes have different rules than private homes (if permitted in your province).
    I am a private day home. I don't provide breakfast but do provide morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack.
    I don't accommodate dietary issues regardless if they are medical, lifestyle choice or religion based. I provide one meal, without substitutions. If that's not going to suit them then they can provider all meals and snacks or go elsewhere. It's all or nothing here. None of the option to see the weekly menu and pick and choose. All comes from home, or all comes from me. I don't give discounts for people who opt not to have my food. It's only ever happened once.

If I chose to go that route how would that reflect the price if let's say I'm charging $50 hourly?
    $50 hourly? Do you mean daily? Not sure where you are but I'm top end of my area at $38.00 a day with meals provided. $50 an hour is not likely in a day home anywhere in Canada to the best of my knowledge.

Starting to feel at home...
    I will be honest, I really hate when parents want to provide their own food, mostly because i usually find it to be below my standards lol. Im by no means crazy health, all organic, no processed foods, but I am balanced and always provide a wide variety of fruits and vegetables, as well as healthy whole grains. I once had a one year old that would show up with her "breakfast" which was always a bear paw cookie in either brownie or banana flavour. Now i know we all have days, but this little one had this every day she was here! Another guy (hugely overweight at 2, was pushing 40lbs) he was gluten free, so mom wanted to provide, I cant tell you how many times his lunch consisted of mac and cheese and french fries. So over the years, I have learnt to say no, I provide the food, and if that wont suit you, Im not the provider for you
    The other reason I dont like parents providing food, kids are pack animals, and like eat the same. I find ( especially if someones is eating french fries and they have green beans, it causes issues between the kids.
    My am snack is bigger then pm snack, and is often breakfast type foods ( ie today is cereal and banana, tomorrow is eggs and toast)

Outgoing
    I once had a one year old that would show up with her "breakfast" which was always a bear paw cookie in either brownie or banana flavour. Now i know we all have days, but this little one had this every day she was here! Another guy (hugely overweight at 2, was pushing 40lbs) he was gluten free, so mom wanted to provide, I cant tell you how many times his lunch consisted of mac and cheese and french fries. So over the years, I have learnt to say no, I provide the food, and if that wont suit you, Im not the provider for you
    I must say I haven't got these cases. But, I think it is also because during the very first days of knowing the families I usually post or send information about the importance of good nutrition (obviously I wouldn't call my self a 100% expert but I still learning).

I believe parents look for our experience and guidance and now with the social media tools in hand (I use it in my favor), it is easy to take pictures of what actually their kids are eating and the variety of foods served in the homedaycare.

Many parents in my group appreciate the shared ideas in meals and snack preps, and many get surprised when their kids go to places and ask for salads or raw veggies.

Many parents started including in their meals variety of foods because their kids now like them, it is rewarding to hear on how our "little people" influence their families (a generation of change for a better human being ;0).

We all work towards guiding each other and support each other.
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 05-09-2019 at 04:50 AM.