Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

Am I too expensive for my area?

Hello everyone.

I have a question to you all but especially, day homes who are operating in Alberta, Calgary to be precise.

Could you please let me know how much exactly are you charging for full time and part time please? I know I asked this before but I can't seem to find the post.

I started running my day home in December. Before opening I did a lot of search regarding how much I should charge. But I couldn't get the exact figure. I now am charging what I think I should be charging based on my experience, qualification etc. I heard from someone that she pays her day home $700 per month full time and she says she is lucky to get that price. When I told her how much I will be charging for full time ($50 per day, 1083 per month) she said I'm expensive but she didn't know that I'm an experienced caregiver not a mother who is doing this while she is on maternity leave etc.

So could you please tell me how much you Calgarian day homes are charging and what is your experience? I'm charging $50 a day for full time and $54 to 60 for part time and I had no problem with filling my spots.

Thank you all.
    Cocoon

I honestly do not think cost matters. There will always be parents who are willing to pay more and also parents wanting to pay less.

I think what matters is what you are offering for the fees you are charging.

Outgoing
    Thank you Judy. That is what I thought. To be honest, the experience plus the qualifications I don't think I'm expensive at all. Parents' ask me questions about anything and everything about their child/ren. I don't shrug my shoulders and say "I don't know" I give advise and if when they follow my advise we always get results. I don't have my own kids but I have looked after dozens of kids in the past 10 plus years so I have extensive experience. And whoever came to me signed up. Not because I have tons of toys or big basement etc. I operate from my 2 bed condo.

Euphoric !
    If you are interviewing and parents are signing up then there is nothing to be concerned about because it means the parents feel that the services you are offering are worth it. If you find that you are having trouble filling spaces then price is certainly an area to look into. When caring for an infant how many degrees we have doesn't make us a better diaper changer than a mom on maternity leave so we have to be careful about thinking that parents will pay for our credentials and experience - some will yes. One way to guage your fees is to go to the home page of daycarebear and type in your postal code. It will give you daycares starting with closest to you and then branching out. It is a good way to guage what you offer and what you charge compared to those around you.

Outgoing
    I think that because Calgary is such a big city with many different levels of financial status the rates for daycare fluctuate A LOT depending on what area you are in. If you live in the high end of Calgary then your rate is probably fine but if you live in the low-mid end then your rate is going to be very high. If you are full and have people willing to pay that much then it's probably fine.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Outgoing
    I'm in Calgary and although rates vary from each area, I have never seen a day home charge that much. I have typically seen anywhere from $35-$40 per day, roughly $700 - $800 per month... a few more dollars per day for part time.

That being said, if you are filling spots and are finding parents are okay with what you charge, keep doing what you're doing. If you're having a tough time filling spots, I'd lower it some.

I charge the same as you, Cocoon. I am in Toronto. I have been told more than once that my prices are "more than reasonable". Absolutely, in a city centre you charge more.
    Last edited by Sandbox Sally; 01-09-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: had to add WHO I charge the same as! lol

Starting to feel at home...
    It really depends on the area but if you are filling you spots then I guess you have no worries. I have heard of Dayhomes charging between 900-1000 but most I see average between 600-800. Before the recession dayhomes were charging up to 1200 a month. I know agency ones usually charge more than private. I charge around 700 and I am on the high end for private in my area.

Outgoing
    It is strange as I replied to this topic last night but it seems it disappeared. Strange. Anyway.

Playfelt, I know degrees doesn't make you a better diaper changer than a mom who is on maternity leave(In this business everybody thinks that they can look after children and it is an easy job, maybe that is why people doesn't really recognise this as a profession, but that's another story). But if you combine that with experiences then it does.
    Looking after an infant not only means changing her/his diapers. You have to understand why is s/he crying and find solutions, set up a routine etc. If I didn't have my qualifications and experience I wouldn't understand and know how to deal with them.

It's like when you apply for a position you tell them what you can do and for them to give you the job you need to show them what you have been trained for. I know you don't have to do masters in this field to be a good caregiver but it helps to put you on top of their list and it also does broaden your choices.

As some of you had said, as long as I get parents' sing up I shouldn't be consern.

Thank you for all your responses.
    Have a lovely day
    Cocoon

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    Playfelt, I know degrees doesn't make you a better diaper changer than a mom who is on maternity leave(In this business everybody thinks that they can look after children and it is an easy job, maybe that is why people doesn't really recognise this as a profession, but that's another story). But if you combine that with experiences then it does.
    Looking after an infant not only means changing her/his diapers. You have to understand why is s/he crying and find solutions, set up a routine etc. If I didn't have my qualifications and experience I wouldn't understand and know how to deal with them.

It's like when you apply for a position you tell them what you can do and for them to give you the job you need to show them what you have been trained for. Cocoon
    I read this and wasn't sure what to make of it, as Playfelt said paper doersn't make a good caregiver, and I believe that sometimes it lull's people into a false sense of "this person has training so they are okay."

I had to kind of read "between the lines of your post", as I couldn't help but feel that you were exhuding a sense of "I am better than you" (I am prolly going to be punced on for that, but whatever) So you charge the rate you charge, if that works good, but IMHO you could have all the paper you wanted -but if you were "finding solutions for my child" and that came off badly--I'd be running the other way. And fast.