Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control

Threaded View

Shy

Daily Food Waste

So here in my home daycare most of my children are here by 7:30-8:00am. I provide breakfast, lunch, as well as afternoon snack. I am finding that 2 of the 3 DCK’s I have waste most of the food that is served.
    There is one boy who always eats his breakfast, but doesn’t really eat his lunch, & doesn’t eat his afternoon snack.
    There is one girl who doesn’t really eat her breakfast, doesn’t eat her lunch, & doesn’t eat her afternoon snack.
    There is another girl who NEVER eats her breakfast, eats all of her lunch, but never eats her afternoon snack.
    I am finding that I am throwing out at least 60% of the food I am providing. I have a menu of food that’s served & I do try to keep things fresh & not serve the exact same things all the time. One thing I’ve noticed that is ALWAYS going to waste is fruits & vegetables. I used to serve some crackers occasionally as part of snack but I found that the kids never ate their fruits/veggies that was served with the crackers, so I stopped serving crackers with produce & only served a good portion of produce to encourage them to eat & they would sit there & stare at it before telling me they were done.
    One of the reasons parents choose my daycare is because I provide food so I am wondering if making parents provide either snacks or meals would be a good idea & I don’t know how well that would work out (I don’t own a microwave, by choice). I’ve asked parents if they’ve fed breakfast before since most of it goes to waste & they all say they don’t at home because they know I give it here. My daily rate is also lower than most where I live & I do include food so if I chose to not provide food I don’t feel like lowering my rate would be better a good idea for myself since my rate is already lower than most.
    Any help/advice would be appreciated!

*Edited to add: I do serve healthy meals & healthy snacks, & I do also have a scheduled time & routine for meals & snacks.
    Last edited by One&Only; 06-05-2019 at 08:54 AM.