Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Over Numbers during Interview

Have an interview this week I scheduled after closing but mom wants her child to meet the other kids and have interview during daytime. This puts me over my max for an hour or so. How do u handle? Tx

Euphoric !
    I just let them know that I cannot and will not do interview during day care hours for several reasons :-

1. My primary responsibility in day care hours is the children in my care. It is neither reasonable or possible to conduct an interview and answer questions when children are present.

2. For the safety of the children, I do not permit unvetted adults to ever have contact with my client's children. While I understand the potential client might wish to meet the children, the children's parents are not going to want their child interacting with everyone who wishes to see the day care space.

3. It is too distruptive for the children in my care for random strangers to be present. It's a false scene because the potential client is not invisible so the children don't react in the way they do without strangers observing them.

4. It is illegal for me to exceed the day care numbers. Until the leaving child has departed my care, I cannot have an additional child on site during business hours even with their parent.

5. There is a huge insurance liability having adults on site during business hours without first having a police check for them and also a child abuse register check.

It's a hard no for me. My client's are not zoo exhibits.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don’t do interviews during operating hours for all of the reasons mentioned by Suzie above.
    My job is to care for and supervise the children in my care. I cannot properly care for the children if I’m touring another family around the house. Also, we have no way of making sure these adults are safe to have around the daycare children.
    Just explain that you’ll be over your numbers and suggest an after hours time to interview.
    I would tour the family after hours, and if you think it’s a good fit for you, then invite the family to meet your group in a public place to interact( ie meet at the park etc)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Over Numbers during Interview

Have an interview this week I scheduled after closing but mom wants her child to meet the other kids and have interview during daytime. This puts me over my max for an hour or so. How do u handle? Tx
    Hi, you can offer two choises,

1. Pick another day after hours or a weekend.

2. Get together at a playgroup or library or a park. Where his child can meet the group and explain that this gatering will be focused in interaction only. (No interviews or questioning) your attention is on your group 100%

3. Also be clear that you purposely do after hours interviews because you want to focus on explaining how your program works, and explain in detail and clear all about your contract and expectations which also allows you to answer any questions.

Also I'm not sure where are you located but here in Ontario it is part of a regulation to let parents (of your group) in, at any time "OPEN DOOR POLICY STILL IN EFFECT". When I asked an agency about a similar situation having a parent and a transitioning baby for an hour or so during a day it wasn't an issue (they have also explained the liability factor but they said that basically the baby and parent wouldn't count in my group because they weren't clients yet (considering that my spots are still full) and as far as the baby is accompanied by her/his own parents and stayed only for 1hr or less).

if this parent concern is to see on how his child will interact in the group then basically set a play date anywhere else but not in your home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peacefulbird For This Useful Post: