Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Angry Daycare parent opening up own daycare and hasnt told me

Hi fellow Daycare Providers!
    Ok I have an issue. I was going online to check out my daycare add to make sure it was still posted on another site, and I come across an add in my area so I naturally look. All of the sudden I see pictures of the two kids from the same family I have done and still do daycare for. Not only that but the parent has not told me she is opening up a daycare at all. Now this family has been with me for 4 years. I thought I had a good rapport with the parents and actually love these parents. I feel cheated by her not mentioning she was trying out this new venture and also not giving me the respect to let me know. The add says the daycare is opening up in June (6 months from now) so technically she has no obligation to notify me that her child will no longer be with me. And is this betrayal of trust enough to end the caring of their child?
    What do I do? My add had expired so I need to post a new one, but feel I should talk to her about it first. But really what do I say?" why didnt you tell me before posting your add?" I just dont know.

Help?

lotssoflove

I can see why you would be peeved. BUT, maybe the mom hasn't told you yet because she isn't even sure her new venture will work out. I mean, really, it IS a big leap of faith to quit your job, lose your daycare and then just go and start up your own daycare with blind faith. Maybe she doesn't have the tenacity to just jump ship and dive in.

Maybe it won't work out and the kids will stay with you. Maybe it WILL work out and she will give you ample notice.

I know it sucks but I can see why she hasn't told you yet. If YOU were making a change to your daycare in six months from now would YOU tell parents NOW who might otherwise bolt because the changes would not include them?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Shy
    hello! I get why she hasnt said something, however i have to post my add and as soon as I do that she will see I have seen hers. Do I say something or just proceed as usual and post my add? I dont care about the competition as there are tons of daycare providers now available in my area and tons of kids to go around.

Euphoric !
    I would say nothing and let the parent be the one to say something. You could also put in your ad that you also may have openings coming available as early as June and leave it at that. She will then know that you know. That is where the trust and rapport will be tested is if she says anything. And if she doesn't well you have covered yourself for new clients.

The reason she hasn't said anything is that there is nothing to say at this point. IF there are any bites to her ad and she can find clients to start in June then she will tell those that will be effected which I'm sure includes her boss and you. She does only have to give you 2-4 weeks notice of what is in the contract. She isn't being dishonest she is being discreet and it is not a crime. Hurtful yes but she is under no obligation to say anything at this point as she is still in the planning stages not the doing phase. But by doing your ad with the extra info you are letting her know you know.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks everyone! I feel better! Business as usual then!

Aw, I can see how that would sting too. I agree with playfelt - just bite the bullet. I knew that one of my parents was pregnant and deliberately avoiding telling me, and I felt hurt too, but after I thought about it for a while, understood the reasons.

Expansive...
    She is probably just testing out the idea so there is no real reason to tell you. She may also be a little bashful about admitting it to you. She might not even be sure yet whether that is what she will do. She might also think that you will be angry or think of her as competition.
    I put an ad out for daycare about 3-4 months before I was ready just to see if there was interest out there before I quit my other job and make sure that I could do it. I was just testing the waters.