Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Used or donated toys?

Hello everyone,

Do you always buy brand new toys? Did you ever get pre-loved toys?
    Why did you choose to do it and where did you get them?

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I personally get used toys from friends, yard sales ( our town has a huge one at the community center each spring and fall) and the local flea market. But I would say about 95% of the toys in the daycare were toys I already had for my boys.
    I used kijiji ottawa for all the exterior toys and play structures .

Euphoric !
    Most of my toys have come from either my own kids or garage sales.

Expansive...
    do you worry about recalls etc? A lot of parents I know are obsessive about that, even though I can't think of any toy that has been recalled and a danger... that we have had- just curious.

(I am really sorry if this comes out garbled--- to many nights with a sick kid leaves me having a hard time to articulate me thoughts) I really do not mean it in a snarky manner.
    Last edited by mamaof4; 03-02-2011 at 06:18 PM.

I have received items from my older siblings kids, garage sales, usedottawa.com and kijiji.ca.

I usually know which toys had been recalled (I used to work in Daycare centers, so we know which toys to depart with). Also when I was a nanny, I found a lot of Diego and Dora toys were recalled because of Lead in the paint. I just try not to buy 'name brands' of toys (ie Dora, Sesame Street, Thomas, etc) as the kids tend to fight over these toys. I usually try to but two of each.

I think the only things I've bought brand new so far has been a booster seat for the kitchen, some utensils, some books, and plastic dishes, bins & white faceclothes from IKEA.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    office I go through also makes sure we receive any recall notices by health canada in our bi-weekly newsletters.

Starting to feel at home...
    All toys in my centre have been used, purchased through craigslist or swaps, garage sales etc. I also had a huge toy donation from someone. I only buy arts and crafts new. The centre is in a brand new house and the equipment is new, shelving, etc so I had to go cheap somewhere!! :P

When buying used, how much are you looking to spend? Half price of original ticket price?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm looking into getting a Choo Choo Wagon. But I'm finding that people are selling them too close to store ticket prices. At that point, I'd rather spend the extra $30-50 and buy brand new.

What are your thoughts?!!? Thanks! (I cannot start a new thread, so sorry I had to hijack this one!)

Euphoric !
    If the price is more than 75% of new or it is an item that is in demand then new is better. Buying the wagon new and then you know that it hasn't been abused, a wheel bumped over a curb too many time or whatever. Then when you are done you can sell it for 50-75% of new at the time you sell it and maybe even end up making money. Items like that have come down in price over the years so that maybe the reason they are priced high in the sense of the person selling is only charging 50% of what they paid.

I have someone who answered my ad for a used choo choo wagon. They want $150 for a 3-seater. I find it a little too pricey - or is that just me?! I might pay that for a 5-seater.