Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy123 View Post
    After talking to other providers, nurse friends and my insurance company I’ve decided to close for 2 weeks starting on Monday. I will leave it up to the parents as to if they offer partial fees or not but that’s because my contract states that I don’t charge if I choose to close...and right now it is my choice. But...because it’s still our choice I’m worried that we won’t qualify for financial assistance yet either.
    And of course I’m concerned about what will happen past the 2 weeks!!! When I reopen I plan to have reworked my sick policy to include cough etc. I included this in the message I sent to all my families so they’re aware that some changes are coming.
    Stay safe and healthy everyone!
    Just curious, what did your insurance company say about staying open?

Hi everyone.
    I am a parent with an unlicensed daycare. Just wondering what unlicensed places have been choosing to do?
    My care provider has chosen to close but has advised that fees must be paid as they are being forced to close.
    It seems like this is a bit of a grey area because the closures apply to licensed daycare centres.
    Looking for other thoughts/opinions on this?

Outgoing
    Hi. As you said it's a grey area. If you check her contract agreement it isn't displayed there or is it?

Anyway, here is the message I get : she has CHOSEN to close but, there hasn't been any ENFORCEMENTs to close.

As ridiculous as it might sound HOMEDAYCARES PRIVATE AND LICENSED ones haven't been enforced to close. They left this choise to the providers. So, do not be surprised but some homedaycares licensed or private ones still open.

In regards of pay, obviously people that works in centres will still be paid but some have been let go so they can apply to unemployment benefits, etc.

A private homedaycare cannot claim any benefit but the government is supposed to help them too. I'm not sure when ir how they will process this.

I think you should probably talk with your provider and negotiate. Many parents currently disregards a homedaycare service open, are choosing to keep safe their children and follow the government advice "social-isolation";
    Obviously, if this takes longer than the originally suggested closing weeks then a provider can not expect a full rate pay(specially when there aren't kids in care ).
    Last edited by Peacefulbird; 03-23-2020 at 02:36 PM.

Outgoing
    After Trudeau's plea today for everyone to do their part and stay home, I have closed. Unfortunately, no pay for me. I don't know why home daycares haven't been shut down officially at this point given how many little groups of kids this could potentially be. Each of those kids is exposed to a life outside of daycare and that's all brought back to the group each day. As mentioned in another thread, daycare spots are opening for essential workers only , which is problematic given their exposure to the virus. But essential workers cannot stay home with their children. So there is no choice. Now that so many more people are getting infected daily, I felt was time to close. And I think it's going to be a long closure..

Starting to feel at home...
    My insurance company didn’t outright say that I had to close but they were very clear that it would be in my best interest. If there were to be any covid related incidence then the liability could be huge. It would be very difficult to prove that any illness originated from my house but the potential for a lawsuit is there. They went through a list of what I should be doing if I were to remain open...disinfecting of hands of anyone coming through the door, sanitizing of all toys, dishes and so forth.
    But insurance aside...I felt it was something that I needed to do. It will be interesting to see what the Ford government lists as non essential...I’m hoping for some clarification as to if we can get government help.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy123 View Post
    My insurance company didn’t outright say that I had to close but they were very clear that it would be in my best interest. If there were to be any covid related incidence then the liability could be huge. It would be very difficult to prove that any illness originated from my house but the potential for a lawsuit is there. They went through a list of what I should be doing if I were to remain open...disinfecting of hands of anyone coming through the door, sanitizing of all toys, dishes and so forth.
    But insurance aside...I felt it was something that I needed to do. It will be interesting to see what the Ford government lists as non essential...I’m hoping for some clarification as to if we can get government help.
    I'm not sure if at this point the government can help. They are dealing with bigger HEALTH related challenges and they're doing the best they can.

We are adults and I think this time it is up to us to decide and value our and our loved ones lives. It is time for you to evaluate pros and cons (and if something goes wrong don't try to find a scape goat or blame someone else, they're giving you the choice to decide)

It is a MUTATING VIRUS, God forbide it doesn't pass and endangers our own children's lives.

I think at this stage (perhaps I'm wrong), we are all working together towards "lowering the curve", unfortunately this keeps increasing. Following the information and stadistics, now it's time for you to decide. It's a critical time for all of us.

So since home daycares with under 6 is considered essential by Fords list, does that mean we would not be entitled to any of the Government benefits for small businesses if we choose not to open. I don’t know about you guys but I’m not comfortable with all that’s happening to opening my home. If regular licensed daycares are not considered essential then why do we have to open. I thought the whole point of this was to flatten the curve by continuing to social distance. I know a lot of parents are also apprehensive with sending their children to daycare at this point as the numbers in our communities keep going up. I’m wondering also if our full time parents choose not to send their children would we be entitled to Government subsidies since we won’t have an income coming in?

This is an emergency and we need to be treated fairly while being flexible with parents. I had one parent who was part time (2 days a week) pull her child out the 2nd week in March. She told me he will no longer come to the daycare in April and can't afford to pay as his dad lost his job due to the virus. I was fine with that. I've chosen to stay open. 2 parents have not been bringing their children. In April, I will only have 1 child. My question is: Do I charge the other parents for the April fees, even though their children aren't coming? I need some advice, because I'm torn.

Insurance companies are the biggest fear mongers out there. I wouldn't trust an insurance company to scare me into closing. I would listen to the facts and the experts. Of course a parent can't sue you!

It just makes me angry that we are now considered essential workers without the benefits of licensed childcare employees. The Government barely recognized us before except to pass regulations. Now the Province of Ontario expects us to operate as essential businesses, SERIOUSLY??!!!
    Last edited by Jasp76; 03-25-2020 at 12:12 AM.