Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Is anyone closing for this?
    I had planned to stay open as long as nobody was sick....with the sudden influx of business closures today I'm just curious about whether that's the right call?

Starting to feel at home...
    Now that the Ontario gov't declared a state of emergency, should home daycares be following suit with daycare centres and close? I also worry about parents and their needs. I have had a couple of children stay home due to concern about this. Is there any official information for us as home daycares?

Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Is anyone closing for this?
    I had planned to stay open as long as nobody was sick....with the sudden influx of business closures today I'm just curious about whether that's the right call?
    I'm also really confused about what to do? I'm having neighbourhood parents ask if I'm open as their centres are closed. Any official advice would help. Otherwise, I think we have to make the call on our own depending on our situations.

I’m really glad for this discussion...it’s hard to know what to do in this situation. I have one tiny returning from the States, one out with a cough and one whose parents want to keep her home for the next couple of weeks. That’s half my population! I was speaking with another daycare provider in my area who has decided to close for the rest of the month. The reason she gave me was that her home daycare insurance provider recommended it. I hadn’t even thought to ask them! I’m leaning towards finishing this week but then closing for the next two. I just haven’t decided if I will request no fees or partial fees...tricky as I’m single income.

Outgoing
    Unlicensed wasn't acknowledged in Fords remarks but I'm feeling great social pressure to close and my contract states if i close for emergency i don't charge unfort Gonna hurt a lot but I think the whole world losing money .Hopefully unlicensed can get govt financial aid for closing but doubt it since they don't officially recognize us

Outgoing
    Or another thought was to stay open to parents who are comfortable sending their kids and if I have at least 3 of the 5 I'll stay open but not charge the ones who are too uncomfortable.... not sure what to do.

So far, I'm planning to stay open as long as my daughter and I are healthy. I'm not sure what to do about charging parents if you do close. It's hard because they're paying for a service they're not getting, but at the same time, the spots are being held for them, so perhaps a retaining fee. I have that set up in my Handbook- I believe it's $275/month for them to hold a spot. It's not much money coming in, but I have savings, so I can get by for a couple of weeks to a month. Let's keep giving each other ideas on this. I contacted MPP's on this and am waiting to hear back.

Outgoing
    Some parents asking me to please stay open. Not sure what's right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    Some parents asking me to please stay open. Not sure what's right thing to do.
    I think I will stay open as long as it's safe and everyone is healthy. I don't see the harm in helping out parents and staying open. If the government orders us to shut down as well, then that's another story.

I found this on the Public health website. They specifically state...

"Childcare settings will refer to both licensed and unlicensed childcare programs providing care and education to children from infants and toddlers to preschool age, as well as providing before and after school care for school age children. Childcare programs are located in a variety of settings, including family homes, centre-based care and schools."

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...-programs.html

Personally, I am going to take one day at a time. I don't know how long this is going to drag out and as long as everyone is healthy, I will stay open. Unless of course if Ford declares a province-wide shut down.. I am going to be very strict and prepare to turn away any child at the door who comes in with a runny nose, sore throat, cough or even a hint of a fever.