Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Holding a Spot during Covid-19

This is a strange situation. During this surreal situation with the Covid-19, I have so far been able to keep 2 children out of 4. The third child left because mom is going on maternity shortly and her hours were greatly reduced at her work from home. The fourth child is the one that has me perplexed. The father is an essential worker and the mom works from home (she's a writer of sorts). He has not been at my daycare since March 16. I let her know I am open with the other two in attendance however, she insists on keeping him home. I reduced her payment by half (this was a personal choice and not an issue), but now I wonder if she's taking advantage of this reduction. I am basically holding a spot for her son, not knowing if he's ever going to attend my daycare again. My question is should I confront her with the choice to terminate (this Covid-19 is not going anywhere anytime soon), or should I just ride it out. I feel a third child in attendance would benefit the other two, but at the same time I am afraid of bringing a stranger into the house. Any help would be great.

The mom is doing exactly what she is supposed be be doing. She is NOT taking avanage of the discounted rate. If she is home, then her child should be at home. If she wants to keep her spot, she can contuine to pay the holding fee, if she wants to termiate then she needs to follow your contracted termination policy.

Unless both parents are essentail workers or if the home envirnment is unsafe for the child to be in while the essentail worker is out of the home, ALL children should be at home. Doug Ford has stated non-essentail workers should ONLY be going out to get food, medication etc. Children who have a adult at home should stay home. THIS IS FOR EVERYONES SAFETY.

Will it benifit the other children in your care, if this child becomes a carrier of covid-19 (gotten from his/her father aka essentail worker) and spreads it to them. (kids don't always show the signs or get sick). NO it won't, in fact it can but them and their families in danger. This mother is actually protecting the other children in your care. GOOD FOR HER. SHE IS BETTING SMART AND DOING WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS ASKING HER TO DO.

If your not comfortable getting paid to hold the spot, then terminate care, otherwise be thankful you are getting paid.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Its hard to offer advice from outside the province because we are all in slightly different situations.

I have been closed since Monday 16th March. I also have client's paying a portion of fees however, I know that for many, they are struggling to pay this when they are not receiving service. It's one of those hard situations that are very unique.

Today, I got notice from a client I would never have guessed I would lose. Out of my 6, I have one going on mat leave in June and two Dads who have been laid off, but this one I lost, I didn't expect to loose. Mom has been on mat leave almost a year, which ends in June so I didn't expect to lose them 11th.

I don't think your client is taking advantage. She's doing what she can to keep her child safe and still paying for the spot - as you said, you chose to reduce the fees and she has been paying and continues to pay. I think she's been more than fair.

If you aren't happy with it, give her notice and find someone else - but bear in mind, someone new coming in, who you don't know has been socially distancing is a big risk and odds are, you won't be able to fill that space until this is behind us anyway. It's going to be late June before life has some level of normal.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    The mom is doing exactly what she is supposed be be doing. She is NOT taking avanage of the discounted rate. If she is home, then her child should be at home. If she wants to keep her spot, she can contuine to pay the holding fee, if she wants to termiate then she needs to follow your contracted termination policy.

Unless both parents are essentail workers or if the home envirnment is unsafe for the child to be in while the essentail worker is out of the home, ALL children should be at home. Doug Ford has stated non-essentail workers should ONLY be going out to get food, medication etc. Children who have a adult at home should stay home. THIS IS FOR EVERYONES SAFETY.

Will it benifit the other children in your care, if this child becomes a carrier of covid-19 (gotten from his/her father aka essentail worker) and spreads it to them. (kids don't always show the signs or get sick). NO it won't, in fact it can but them and their families in danger. This mother is actually protecting the other children in your care. GOOD FOR HER. SHE IS BETTING SMART AND DOING WHAT THE GOVERNMENT IS ASKING HER TO DO.

If your not comfortable getting paid to hold the spot, then terminate care, otherwise be thankful you are getting paid.

Thanks for the support. Not sure about the caps though None of us have ever been through this in our lifetime so I was just wondering if I was overthinking things and asking for a nudge in the right direction. I’m wondering where you read that unless both parents are essential workers, that they keep their child at home. I have another child who comes here and his mom is on extended medical leave with two teenagers and a 12 year old at home Does that mean her son should not come here also?

I may be upset. People don't appreciate what they get for free, just like that, etc.
    What for us has no price in dollars - we do not appreciate. We dispose of it as the sand goes through our fingers