Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Would you let a child with an expired epipen stay in your care?

Hello,

I have a little boy who is extremely allergic and his epipen has recently expired, would you let him remain in care or request he get a new one before he can attend again?

My thoughts are that it is a liability to myself and that he should have the new epipen.

Your thoughts?

apples and bananas
    GET A NEW ONE!!!! I'm the parent of a peanut allergy child. He has an epi pen on him at all times when not in the house and another one at the office at school. I would NEVER leave my child anywhere with an expired epi pen... it's just irresponsible.

So, No, I wouldn't let a child with an expired epi pen stay in my care. That's when accidents happen.

Now, in saying that... I would keep track of the expiry date and give the client ample notice that I need a new one. You can purchase them from any pharmacy. They could go tonight and bring you a new one tomorrow.

Is it as basic as calling the parents or e-mailing/text whatever and asking them to replace it with x amount of days? or have you already done this and they are not responding? I can't imagine they are no good on the exact date listed, call a doctor office or pharmacy to check on potency. I would give the parents notice that it needs to be replaced by ______ date, or you can't take the child in care until updated, for the sake of the child (and your liability).

Expired drugs are effective well, well, well past their use-by dates. But yeah, for liability's sake, demand a new one.

I told her last week that it was expired (sept 2013), did not mention that he could not be here. So today I sent off an email saying that it is not safe for him to be here without one. I just do not want something bad to happen to him over something so simple. Hopefully she will get one by the end of the week (he is not in today because he is sick).

Expansive...
    I am also a peanut allergy mom and know exactly when all our epi pens expire!! It takes 30 seconds to get a new prescription phoned in, so no reason she can't get a new one before she brings him back to care.

Outgoing
    I"m assuming that was typo...sept 2013? I would not let him back until he has a new epipen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gcj For This Useful Post:

yes, typo. it expired 2012 thank you.

Euphoric !
    Holy crap! Don't accept that little one into care unless you have a new epipen. I know they are expensive but what if something happens tomorrow? Can you live with that for the rest of your life? NO!

Well, this is a really difficult question. I would get a new one, honestly. It's safer and better