Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I'm looking for insurance as well. I'm currently with TD but as kangaroomama said, they don't really cover daycare and they only cover up to 6 kids including your own (I have 2, so this would limit me to 4 dck). I tried Coseco as suggested by spixie but unfortunately, they only deal with group insurance (they are the group branch for Cooperators). State Farm and Cooperators are both a bit more expensive. Any other suggestions?

I am with Meloche Monnex (TD) and I have a daycare ryder on my house insurance policy.

- one million in liability
    - $30,000 to cover lost items related to the daycare in case of flood, fire etc
    - allows me six children under the age of six (redundant in ON but good for provinces who allow more kids)

Cost - $17 a month

Euphoric !
    Judy is that 6 children total or 6 daycare children in addition to your own. That is what we were running into when first looking. We had a group policy here in Ottawa for many years but then the company got out of the daycare market and we each had to find our own provider. While my kids are older so it isn't as much of an issue those with 2-3 of their own small children would no longer be covered for more than 3 daycare children as it was total children (own plus daycare).

Shy

Child care insurance

We had this problem 3 years ago and was very complicated. People paying over $1000/year for premium are doing the right thing.
    A rider on your home insurance is not a daycare insurance... it will never cover: liability for abusive accusations or any other lawsuit that originates from your customers (and trust me, customers can do that very easy) it will not protect 5 children plus your own and the very limited and useless coverage is just applied to the limits of your property.
    To have a minimal childcare coverage that extends to ALL the children in your care and really covers you also outside your property (where most accidents happen like parks, playgrounds and wadding pools, etc) you will have to pay that $1000/year and if you are dropping off and picking up the children from school with your private vehicle you need the "paying passengers" insurance on your vehicle too... that is about $100/year otherwise you are not covered for any children in your care that are transported in your car...

Hope this helps and always ask the whole set of questions.... and never get a home rider for you childcare...

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carewithlove For This Useful Post:

Trace of Angels
    I am with Meloche Monnex. I have six kids in my care (including my own) and I have a hired helper. They cover me for the kids and the helper while on my property and in my care. For any injury that any child gets while on my property or in my vehicle. And any parent on my property.
    And since I don't plan on abusing any children LOL....I think and feel that I am covered just fine. I called and inquired today and they are sending me another copy of all the inclusions and exclusions for the ryder on my home. Once I look it all over if I feel that I am not adequately covered I may look more into it.
    But lets face it. We live in Canada. Us Canadian folk don't often sue each other.......we are not lawsuit crazy like some other countries south of the border.
    And if you are planning to do field trips wouldn't a signed waiver by a parent be adequate enough coverage to not get sued? Something that says they are aware of the risks and agree for the child to participate in field trips. Much like I had to sign for my school aged child to go on field trips?

Hi, I am in London Ontario, have insurance for 5 children and that cost me $125.00 per year.

Expansive...
    I am in Alberta and I pay $55 a month for 5 children but I have 2 million on each child . I was told now a days that is what is recommended . I have insurance on my vehicle as well as I drive one child to school . My insurance covers everything except of course abuse !! I added a rider on my home insurance as well to cover equipment and such .

Outgoing
    I think the answer is going to different based on what insurance companies you ask.

The extra $1000 premium, is the commercial liability insurance, if i understand correctly. As it was explained to me by an insurance rep, if you are operating your daycare as a registered business, with legit receipts, contracts etc, then this is the proper insurance you should have. Some companies do not offer it.

If you are a more casual DCP, and you take care of a just a few kids, and don't operate so much like a business, you will be fine with an insurance rider, as i understand it.

Expansive...
    Mine is classified as commercial , I asked them to make sure I was fully covered !!!

Outgoing
    Stay away from state farm....rip off! Most expensive insurance company....aviva is great