Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Shy

How do you go about holding spots??

Within the last year I have held childcare spots for a few families who either left on mat. leave or interviewed me when they were pregnant. All 3 of these families ended up not needing care. For the one family I held the spot for the woman's entire mat. leave. How do other daycares deal with this? It is so frustrating! They talk like they want the spot really badly but then they don't. Help! I have another interview next week for a child in 2013. Perhaps I shouldn't take interviews so early? It's just that some parents want to get things sorted out before the baby arrives. They get my name from current daycare families recommending me.

Euphoric !
    In my contract I have it that if the start date is more then 1 month but less then 3 months away then a 3 week tuition Is required but if the start date is more then 3 months away then a tuition of $250/month is required .... This money goes to holding the spot only and is non refundable if they choose not to start. This way at least I am getting something for the spot that I am holding ..... So for a family holding a spot for four months pays $1000 that's a lot of money to just walk away from and chances are they won't .

Expansive...
    I have done holding a spot for 5 months. I got a non refundable deposit and signed contract although that doesn't obligate them to start with me.
    I guess you have to be sure about the family and whether you are willing to wait and whether you will be okay financially if it doesn't happen or the family backs out at the 11th hour.
    I also wanted to make sure the child seemed to have a good temperment from the get go. Nothing sounds scarier than holding a spot and then it doesn't work out because the parenting style and the child's temperment are not a match.
    I am not sure about this whole securing a daycare before the baby is even born though. That seems a little far out there. lol

Hello,

I charge a 300.00 deposit , and 200.00/month after the deposit is paid to a max. of six months.

Ginger

Euphoric !
    I'm glad to see this thread because this is about to happen to me. I have a Mom about to go on mat leave and she's keeping her son here until he goes to JK in Sept. Then there will be a 4 month span with an empty space while I wait for her to start her new baby here. I asked her already if she would pay the equivalent of one week pay per month to hold the space and she said she thinks that is fair. Now I am just going to have to budget for the lower income next Sept.-Jan.

I have also held spots for a couple of months when new clients signed their contract but didn't want to start until they went back to work after their mat leaves this past fall. I asked them to pay $100/month as a holding fee plus the regular deposit. I wouldn't do this for more than a couple of months though.

Personally, I would not even consider talking to people looking for care in 2013, except for the Mom who is my client already of course. I always answer queries for people looking for care in a year with the response that they should wait until 4-5 months before they need a home daycare to start looking but they should put their names into daycare centres a year ahead.

Euphoric !
    So far, everyone I have dealt with was looking to start virtually immediately, or at least within a month or so.
    I would never hold a spot for free, because of exactly what you had happen to you. If someone already in care is looking to hold a spot (mat leave, etc) I would charge half the monthly fee, with the allowance that their child could come on a P/T basis if required (10 days per month). For someone looking to hold a spot for a future start date, I would charge a set monthly fee that is non-refundable, and does not get applied to their fees. It is also completely a judgement call for me, as to whether I feel like I can swing it, financially.
    I would not even interview for a spot a year in advance. The most I would do is 6 months, and even in that case, I would require a second interview within 2 months of care beginning. I would answer any questions over the phone, etc or via email, because I understand that they want to "plan". But I am not going to put time and energy, and carve out a precious couple hours from my off-time to do that type of interview!

Euphoric !
    I wouldn't hold a spot unless it is within a month or I am full until the start date when another child will be leaving. I haven't had this happen yet, but if it does, they will have to either start earlier or pay full fees (although if it is within 2 months, I may consider a holding fee as others have mentioned as it is a gamble whether I would find someone to fill the spot). I guess it depends on how easy it is for you to fill your spots...how long it normally takes. I usually don't have too much trouble, so I am not willing to take a cut in income like this. Right now I have a family who has asked me if I would consider letting them stay home or go part time for the summer (the mom is a teacher)...this wasn't part of our original agreement and I have two kids from that family. I think I am going to tell her that she has to pay for the spots if she wants them held...I have had people contact me for summer already...I could fill the spots and although I don't want to lose this family as I like them a lot, I have to make the best business decision and can't afford to give away money like that.

Outgoing
    I charge a $200/month holding fee for anyone who wants to hold a space for more than 1 month. They pay me a $200 reg. fee and then the holding fee. I've been burnt in the past and won't be burnt again. You need to charge something to hold a spot for that long...that is a lot of income lost! I also don't even look/interview a family when the baby isn't even born yet. That's just crazy/stupid on the parents part. So much can change in a year and first time parents can be crazy and you might not even want them in care.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    I started charging teachers more for a Sept-June contract with the holding for the summer which balances out to them paying for 3 days a week for the summer. I allow them to use up to 2 days a week in the summer free (from fees from the year) and any more they pay for. Generally they get sent one day a week so mom gets things done. I have been burned too many times in the past with them saying yes we will pay a fee for the summer etc and then come June don`t want to and are hoping you like them enough to give in and by June I have already turned down everyone wanting July/Aug start so the earliest I would be interviewing for is Sept anyways so they come out the winners. With the higher fee I come out the winner if they decide not to come in the summer or to return in the Fall.

I charge half rate for the summer, so they give me $90 per week and keep their kids integrated part-time to a schedule that works for them. They also have a weeks holidays that they save for the summer plus my week off, so that helps a bit. I have been burned before, but even with a higher rate they can still choose to leave come June. I just keep my waitlist handy and interview potentials that need care starting at the end of the school year and contact them right away should they give notice.
    "The laugh of a child is the life of a house"