Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Expansive...
    I charge a $50/month holding fee for spaces more than one month away. For example I am holding a space for a family for September, so they can either pay me $350 up front or $50/month.

Euphoric !
    Oh that's low! $50/month is too low! I have a family who will have a 4 months gap between the time their little boy goes to JK and the baby starts in his space. I'm happy to hold the space because I love the family, but I'm still debating whether I'm going to charge them $200/month or 1 week's fees per month which will be a little lower. I have to really weigh out my budget and I'm sure they will pay the higher amount but I always want to be fair.

Shy
    bumping this old thread ...

I am starting to hear from people who need care starting in the summer, as late as August! It is frustrating since I want to have a spot filled by next month, but at the same time I dont want to just turn them away. I'd consider holding a spot with a holding fee but have never done this before.

For those of you who have held spots I'm wondering at what point did you discuss the holding fee? Do you tell them during the initial convos to give them a chance to back out if they don't like the idea, or wait til the interview so you can sell them on your program first?

When someone tells me they need a spot in a few months and I have a spot open now I tell them:

"I will not know until closer to the date you are looking for if I will have a spot open. However I do have a spot open now and if you would like that spot, there is a $100/week non-refundable holding fee."
    This way if they don't want to pay the holding fee I don't have to waste my time interviewing them.

Outgoing
    I had my first request for June of 2014! The baby won't even be born until this summer. When I opened, I was happy to hold spots at no charge because I wanted to ease into this business. So I started three children in September, added one in January and have the last one coming in April. I didn't charge them anything beyond the deposit. However, all other inquiries about holding spots have been asked to contact me closer to the time they need me. I don't want to hold a spot. If I do end up getting an opening, I plan to just fill it with someone on the waiting list right away. I'm also not sure at what point to cut off the waiting list. I don't want to give people false hope that there might be a spot for them? Right now I have 5 people hoping to get a spot in the fall, and it doesn't look like I'll have a spot yet. I've referred people to a friend of my daughter who just opening, but it still seems that there are a large number of parents in this area needing daycare. Not sure what it is about Peterborough, but the woman wanting to book already for June of 2014 really threw me LOL

Euphoric !
    That is fairly normal in some areas for centre care, isn't it? Perhaps she is thinking that home daycare is the same, and covering all her bases?
    Seems crazy to me, LoL, but in our area you don't need to do that. I guess we are lucky.