Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Outgoing
    ugg I hate the "I'm too little" excuse!!
    My 3 1/2 yr old dcg is always saying this. Her parents baby her to the max and it is a definite link to her self-esteem and learning issues.

For example:
    Walking up and down stairs, opening drawers or doors, wiping her own bum!! (JUST became potty trained at 3 yrs 5 months) everything she says "I cant, Im too little!". A little frustrating but I know where she gets it from!

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by KingstonMom View Post
    I have a 3 1/2 yr old dcg who only knows the letter her name begins with as well. She also has no interest in learning so that could be why she does not know any others.
    But on the other hand, I have a 21 month old son who knows and can point out all the letters, although his pronounciation for some is not perfect. We have used flashcards since he was little, and have pin up alphabet posters in the house, also magnetic letter on the fridge and alphabet floor puzzels he loves.
    Whenever the dcks go home he points to the flashcards and insists we open it for him so he can tell us what each one is and place it back in the box. Over and over lol
    He absolutly LOVES when we read to him and this is what we do every night from the time the dcks leave to bedtime. He does enough playing during the day and shows us that this is what he wants to do.
    We never tell him no when he wants to read or learn his letters, we encourage him as much as we can, but I know that if we made it a 'chore' for him he would be totally turned off it.
    We are so proud of him and can only dream that he will be the smartest cookie ever, but I know that this may not be typical. All kids will eventually learn their letters, and early learners are not necessairly rocket scientists. I imagine just because a kid walks before others, does not mean they will become stronger, leaner, more athletic than others.
    I disagree that "this is what jk is for". I think it is still the parents job to introduce them and teach their kids the life basics; letters, numbers, proper speech, MANNERS etc...
    Theres my bragging moment of the day
    I agree parents can teach all that, but some children are not able to understand it until jk age and that is exactly what school is for. Parents place way too much pressure on themselves and their children, trying to "prepare" them for school...let them be kids. Obviously teach them manners and you can talk about letters and numbers but let them be kids and just enjoy them...not everything has to be a teachable moment