Is it unusual that a 3 1/2 yr old (girl) cannot recognize any letters except for the letter her name begins with or any numbers? She knows her shapes and colors and can recite the alphabet. My own son is not quite 2 1/2 and he can recognize every letter upper and lower case and he tells me "big m little m". He can recognize the numbers up to 10 and he can verbally count to 18 .... I have 5 kids and they were all able to do this by the time they were 2 1/2..... This is the second 3 1/2 yr old child that has been at my daycare and neither one could identify a letter .... When we do circle time and we do the alphabet and numbers she just sits there content to let the others do all the work. Even if I tell her the letter and then ask her again in one minute she can't remember. She also doesn't seem to understand concepts like before/ after , what comes first/ second/third. I'm just wondering if I'm expecting too much. I know there are other threads regarding kindergarten readiness and I have my own in jk currently. As much as I don't feel it's my "job" to teach her It bothers me that she doesnt know any of this because the younger ones do and I wouldn't want her to be discouraged. Her mother is enrolling her in jk at the end of this month. Any thoughts?