Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    It's kind of weird because one of the children who does it the most (calling me mommy) is so perfect at never having a slip up in front of their mom and calling me by my first name in front of their mom all the time...but when mom is not here then I hear it 80% of the time. It makes me think the child knows what they are doing.

I know that the child knows the difference between me and their real mom but maybe they feel like I am the daytime mommy? lol

We do circle time and sing songs where I always use my first name so they do know it.

There are days where my own school age children call me my first name and the daycare kids call me mommy and I joked with one of the mom's how backwards it all is.

So far the mom's have not said anything and when they were younger I know the kids just thought a mommy is any grown woman who looks after them....but now I am kind of at this precipice where they are starting to know...they can all say my name and use it sometimes to varying frequencies.....but I also don't want to crack down too hard on it and break our bond or trust. In a way I feel like if I chastise them over it too much then I might make them uncomfortable with me.

I do wish that in our home daycares we could give ourselves teacher names like they do at daycare centres - i.e Ms Judy or Ms Norma etc instead of just going straight to first name only. But I think it would be weird for the parents to hear that in a homedaycare

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    I do wish that in our home daycares we could give ourselves teacher names like they do at daycare centres - i.e Ms Judy or Ms Norma etc instead of just going straight to first name only. But I think it would be weird for the parents to hear that in a homedaycare
    I call myself "Miss. (my first name)". It started because the first group of kids I had (a set of siblings) all called me that. I prefer that to kids just using my first name, because when I was growing up my parents engraved on my brain "You DO NOT call adults their first name". It was always Mr or Mrs, or for close family friends Auntie or Uncle.
    I am a little more lax with my own kids on that matter. And in fact, most of the daycare kids just call me by my first name. Obviously the parents don't worry about the "Miss" when referring to me.
    Just wanted to say that I don't think it's weird!

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but would make sure the parents are ok with it bc you never know how they'll react.

I have the opposite the problem with my 2yo son. Not often, but when a dck calls me by my name, he will too. Thankfully its not often or for long. Now him I correct-"i;m not jen,you call me mama" lol
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Expansive...
    I would correct it. Not because the kids would get confused . . . . . but because, as a mother myself . . . . I don't want my child calling anyone else mommy . . . . it's a bit sacred

Expansive...
    I wouldn't tell any mother that this is happening either . . .

Euphoric !
    I only correct it if we are having a basic conversation. If the child is excited about something and says "mommy look....." just comment on what we are looking at so as not to spoil the moment. Kids will call mom dad and dad mom often when they are thinking about something else like what they want to say next. I don't treat it as a big deal because at some point almost all kids do it. Parents, grandparents, etc. call a child by another name because that name is on their mind at the time and mean nothing by it. Would never mention it to a parent and if it happened in front of the parent just ignore the child and not let on they are talking to me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    That's true, playfelt... I have overlooked it when it's "hey!mommylook!yaday adayada..."
    I would correct if that's what they referred to me as, on a regular basis.

Outgoing
    I would definitely correct you daycare kids. You are not their mother and I think some mothers might find that really odd. Again, no need to make a big deal out of it-but you are their caregiver-not their parent...you know?

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphaghetti View Post
    I refer to myself in the third person constantly. Do you think that makes a diff?
    Alphaghetti- I also CONSTANTLY refer to myself in the third person hahah! I do this so that the children learn my name