Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Terrible two

Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

Terrible two

Hi!

How do you or did you deal with the so-called "terrible two" phase ?
    Any useful tips you would like to share in order to help other parents ?

Starting to feel at home...
    In my experience, the twos were a wonderful age that I truly enjoy! The threes are another story...lol.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Emily, I agree. I love the twos!! Three is a challenging age but still tons of fun too.

Euphoric !
    Love the twos here too but find once they turn three the whining just gets the better of me. They have so much to learn and everything is new for the under threes. They are so busy discovering that I don`t find I have a of issues. On the other hand parents will talk about issues but the difference is I am neutral territory. The toys are mine so it isn`t about the child having to share their things or their mommy or their space. Also I have duplicates so there is more than one stacking tower, enough blocks for many and enough space to keep them all distracted in their own space. Three is a challenge because they see the babies still getting to do baby things like not always pick up their toys and start to see the world in a whole different way making everything about them. Sometimes it is really hard to be "nice"with everything we say to them.

Outgoing
    I've heard on more occasion than one that the two's are a breeze compared to the three's!
    I've got a two year old of my own and she already knows how to push my buttons!! Can't wait to see what she'll be like at three!

My kids are teenagers and I think 2 and 3 year olds are much easier to deal with. I find that every age has their good points and their testing times. But, aren't we lucky to be such a big part of these little people's lives. I get teary eyed when young adults that I looked after come and visit me. These young adults are now 19 & 20 years old and the girls will run to hug me or the boys will call my name and walk over and give me a hug. They tell me about their favorite times in my daycare and it brings back such great memories. Wow!!

Expansive...
    Ha! As soon as I read this I thought, "well the 2's are challenging but nothing to the three's!". I see I m not alone in that opinion.

Anyway, I think the best thing that I learned as a mom of toddlers is to respect their feelings. When they get frustrated- acknowledge it. Acknowledge why they are frustrated- once kids know they are heard they usually are easier to deal with.

A good book is "The happiest toddler on the block"

Shy
    My youngest daughter has always been a handful, but things have gotten even more difficult since she turned 3. Thankfully she will start school in September and hopefully mellow out a bit.

i think that every age has its "problems" but usually i find that consistancy is the key. No matter how you choose to deal with whatever "issue" is the problem, you should stand by your word. In other words if you say "NO" then keep the answer "no"... dont say "we'll see" or "maybe later".

And dont make threats that you cant or dont have any intention on following through on... because one day they may "call you on it".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to giraffe For This Useful Post: