Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Oh yes, I ask for crib/playpen bedding and cover blanket and favourite cuddle for naptime and have never had a problem so far with a child napping. I send the bedding home daily for the first few months then when I'm sure there isn't any problem start to wash the bedding here. I sincerely believe that a blanket/cuddle that smells like home is the best tool to use for a little sweetie who is transitioning.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by olivetree View Post
    What sort of things do you put in your handout "how to prepare your child for daycare". That is such a fantastic idea!! I think that sometimes parents forget that we can't do everything as one on one as they can at home.
    I am not on my laptop right now, but when I am; I will post it here.

Ya I am on my Iphone at the moment - will cut and paste at quiet time
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

I have that crying all the time problem with a future full time darling, shes 10 months so its hard for her of course, good thing that she started the transition now 2 days a week before mom goes back to work. We started out 2 hours a day, now its half a day, next week we'll try full day. Now Im off on vacation for 2 weeks in march and Im afraid when I come back and she starts full time, all this transition will have been for nothing and have to start over after my vacation... :\ At first she didnt want me near her, talk to her or even look at her... she would scream and cry hahaha... at least now she wants to be in my arms, but I am slowly trying to let her down so she can unvelcro herself to me and start playing with the friends or on her own :O Poor doll is exhausted from crying, my (for now) two other kids are so sweet with her and dont seemed bothered by her crying. Hope it will only get better as I have more kids starting also after my vacation
    Last edited by DisneyPrincess; 02-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by mom-in-alberta View Post
    I am not on my laptop right now, but when I am; I will post it here.
    That would be fabulous!

Euphoric !
    Here ya go... each paragraph is supposed to be in point form, for easier reading. For some reason, it doesn't copy and paste like that.

HOW TO PREPARE YOUR CHILD FOR CHILDCARE
    Beginning childcare can be both a nerve-wracking and exciting experience, for parent and child. Here are a few tips to make this transition easier on you, your child, and your provider.
    Begin adjusting your routine early. Up to a few months before you expect to go back to work, start waking your child each morning at the time you anticipate to be waking up. Have breakfast, get dressed and be `ready for the day`, even if you are staying home. This makes for far less hectic mornings when you do begin dropping your child off at the allotted time. You will also find out whether schedules or routines will need to be adjusted (i.e.; child may require a morning nap again, even if they had given it up).
    Discuss the daily schedule with your provider. There may be differences in what you do at home, and what will be occurring during child care. Especially if your child will be attending regular, full-time care, it is usually a good idea to adapt your daily schedule to whatever routine your child can expect while there. Plan snacks, meals and naps based on what your provider has told you. Again, the earlier this is started, the easier it is on everyone. If you have any concerns about meal or nap time, discuss them with your provider, as there is usually a reason (i.e.; school pick-ups that must be done, etc). This is why it is important to find a provider whose daily activities `make sense` for your child.
    Prepare your child to be more independent. In a multi-child environment, a provider will find it difficult if your child has not had the opportunity to learn to hold a cup or bottle, self feed (finger foods, introduction of cutlery etc) and soothe themselves at nap time. Begin to allow your child to play `on their own` if they don’t usually. Show them what a particular toy does, and then retreat and watch them play independently for a little while. Try putting your child to sleep for their nap in a playpen in a different room, awake and without toys (it is against regulations in most areas for a provider to give them a stuffy, etc). When snuggling, make sure that you are holding your child, and that THEY are holding the bottle or sippy cup.
    Ensure that they are used to being around other children. If your child has not had much exposure to playing with or around other kids, they may find it incredibly overwhelming to suddenly be sharing space with 2, 3 or more unfamiliar faces their own age. Take your child to busy, loud places like indoor playgrounds or enrol in a couple of playgroup sessions.
    Give your child `room to grow`. For the last 9 to 12+ months, you have watched your child’s development with wonder and amazement. You have cheered on everything from their first smile, to sitting up, to (perhaps) their first steps and words with enthusiasm, as well you should have. Don’t stop now! Sometimes when a parent returns to work they subconsciously try to keep their babies babies, and a form of regression occurs. At this age level, it seems as though children are trying something new every day. Although it may feel like you are going to miss out on that, rest assured, you will not. Mommies and Daddies still take 1st place in the eyes of a child!
    Remember that each child reacts differently to a situation. Some little ones settle in within a few days, while others can take many weeks to become comfortable in a new setting. In general, a child attending care full-time will take less time than one attending part time. A child with siblings or a lot of exposure to other children, or a child who has been cared for by people other than parents, usually has an easier time than one whose experience with socialization is limited to immediate family. Give you and your child the time to adjust to this new arrangement and discuss any concerns you may have.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post: