Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    Problem with parents sending lunches is the kids are too young to understand that one kid get a granola bar for snack and another gets orange wedges and another gets pudding. They are also too young to unwrap, open containers etc so you still end up doing part of the prepping anyways. Also unless it is sandwiches every day the parents may be expecting you to warm the food so by the time you zap five lunches in the microwave it is easier to make a meal and serve it to everyone. And it means deductions from taxes.
    As someone said parents would expect to pay less so for all the hassles you are going through in helping out with the meal you are getting no money for it. Also since it isn't common for parents to have to send the meals you would likely lose out in getting kids as parents would consider it too much hassle to deal with everyday and go to someone that provides meals.

Where I am in BC most daycares don't provide meals and I actually have a firm nutrition policy which ensures parents prepare the meals before sending. I.e soup in a thermos, cut up oranges etc. Being licensed we have many guidelines we have to follow in preparing the food as well. So at this point it's easier to tell the parents they must follow the Canada food guide and bring lunches. It works great for me, I wouldn't do it any other way. Then again it's the norm out here and I have done this from the beginning.

Outgoing
    Thanks for some ideas. Would anybody who has a meal plan in place be willing to post it, or send me an email of it???

I am with other people as far as having parents providing lunches go. I have to make lunch for my own DD anyways so I might as well make enough for everybody. I even offer breakfast at my dayhome since I have to make breakfast for DD when kids are here anyways. Might as well and then I get the write offs.

Outgoing
    This is what my meal plan looks like...
    Attached Files
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fruitloop For This Useful Post:

I have 5 kids in my daycare including my son. All the children except my son are picky eatters. I can make everyone happy at snack time but its lunch that I struggle with. The children mostly want processed food for lunch (frozen pizzas,KD or fries and nuggets). The parents are fine with them eatting this because its the same way in there homes, I`m the one with the problem serving it. I have tried making homemade healthy versions of it but the kids know its healthy and will barely eat it. Any ideas????? I always serve fruit and veggies they will eat with lunch. Should I just be happy they will eat some healthy things?

Euphoric !
    Sometimes it does come down to the some food - any food is better than the child eating no food. This is where trying to sneak some extra nutritious foods into the meals helps but just as kids stopped eating all the good foods they did as babies most go back to being better eaters in their own time. It is frustrating to cook and waste the food and then have to deal with grumpy kids who don't want to nap because they are hungry. Why do we do that to ourselves like that is beyond me. If the parents started letting the kids eat these foods at home and basically taught them to prefer them then they really can't hold it against the caregiver for resorting to whatever the kids will eat some days.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    4 of the children i have are used to eating real food with me including veggies and fruit . Well I just started one who is 5 who doesnt eat any veggies at all doesnt eat eggs, potatoes, or rice. Pasta only with parmesan cheese, wouldnt eat crusts on her bread (Ive been slowly changing that) no fruit yogurt, it is driving me crazy lol

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesgirl17 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    For the picky kids look at Deceptively Delicious- cool ways to sneak in healthy foods

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mamaof4 For This Useful Post:

I have picky eaters ask well. The older boy more then the younger girl but shes learning from big brother a bit. He wont eat fruit other then bananas sometimes or veggies other then cooked carrots. She will eat almost anything but ends up whining for what he has since I usually serve her differetn then him. For lunch they like kd, zoodles, mr noodles and stuff but they will also eat grilled cheese, pb and j and eggs so i try to make those more often. Its how they eat at home though and theres no changing the older one, he'd rather go hungry.
    the parents also send junk with them for treats (not sure if its because he complains about not getting any here) which drives me crazy and it just stays in the diaper bag until he asks and has finished the meals i serve.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinsNGiggles View Post
    I have 5 kids in my daycare including my son. All the children except my son are picky eatters. I can make everyone happy at snack time but its lunch that I struggle with. The children mostly want processed food for lunch (frozen pizzas,KD or fries and nuggets). The parents are fine with them eatting this because its the same way in there homes, I`m the one with the problem serving it. I have tried making homemade healthy versions of it but the kids know its healthy and will barely eat it. Any ideas????? I always serve fruit and veggies they will eat with lunch. Should I just be happy they will eat some healthy things?
    I feel the same way. Should we keeo trying the healthier versions of these foods and not have them eat it or just give them these foods because that's what they're used to at home and will eat it?
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Euphoric !
    I say do what makes your day go the smoothest. It isn't like we are being paid hazard pay or anything. No sense inciting a riot in daycare.