Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

Injuries/accidents

Hi everyone...
    Just wondering what other people do with their daycare when a Daycare child is hurt. i.e what do you do if a child bumps their head and you see it form a bump and bruise?

On one hand I think it is nice to forewarn the parents that they will see their child in less-than-perfect condition at pickup time but on the other hand calling them in advance could get them worried or make them feel guilty for the rest of the day over a bruise.

Do you call/email the parents and let them know that there was an accident or do you wait until pick up and explain what happened and give them an accident report or ????

Outgoing
    I wait until pick up and get them to sign the accident report

Outgoing
    I too wait until pick up. I don't want the parents worrying over nothing.

Euphoric !
    I don't have any accident reports because everything that has happened has been normal bumps and bruises that parents should expect to happen when 5 busy, bouncy children are playing together. I just tell the parents about the incident at pickup time and usually they just wave it off as a regular thing, especially for the boys.

If I had a parent who made a big thing about little accidents I would ask them if they trust me or not to keep their child safe. Thankfully, my dcparents all have complete confidence in my abilities.

Outgoing
    I do an accident report when a child has had a tumble that leaves a mark or scrape etc. I always let parents know that I allow kids be kids and they will have their tumbles-especially toddlers! But I still believe it is good practice to have an accident report when bumps and bruises happen-just how I have always done it in my own daycare and in the centers I have worked in.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daycare123 For This Useful Post:

I know this post is very old but would any of you have a copy of an accident report form i could see? I have 5 boys and every week we get some sort of big goose egg, bump on the head ect. all my parents have always been ok with it and expect it to happen with 5 boys but i don't have anything in place in case something happens after he leaves/sign off of information ect....

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Spixie33 View Post
    Hi everyone...
    Just wondering what other people do with their daycare when a Daycare child is hurt. i.e what do you do if a child bumps their head and you see it form a bump and bruise?

On one hand I think it is nice to forewarn the parents that they will see their child in less-than-perfect condition at pickup time but on the other hand calling them in advance could get them worried or make them feel guilty for the rest of the day over a bruise.

Do you call/email the parents and let them know that there was an accident or do you wait until pick up and explain what happened and give them an accident report or ????
    I always photograph the injury and then e-mail or FB message parent with the image and explain what happen. Did it just today as one little guy slip on ice and cheek was grazed by snow bank. I reassure parent in first sentence that child is fine and then explain what happen, and any treatment given. This give parent firm timeframe and good information whilst clear in case it get worse over time and they need hospital visit. Never know.

I don't phone them. Many parent keep phone on in meeting for emergency and so calling for non-emergency scare with and not need to.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
    I know this post is very old but would any of you have a copy of an accident report form i could see? I have 5 boys and every week we get some sort of big goose egg, bump on the head ect. all my parents have always been ok with it and expect it to happen with 5 boys but i don't have anything in place in case something happens after he leaves/sign off of information ect....

Try this. I can't upload an image of mine but it has a diagram of the front, back and head of a child so you can indicate the location of the injury.

http://www.childcarelounge.com/print...T%20REPORT.pdf

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I write an accident report if it leaves a mark, or if it involves the head or face. I don't do one for normal scrapes on the knee/elbows that happen in the backyard. If I am writing a report, then I email the parent during the day so I don't get that "deer in the headlights" look at pickup.

You can find a accident report on homedaycarebusiness. weebly.com
    Its under forms. http://www.homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com