Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Book nook

Book nook

I previously had books up on a shelf and old had/have storytime 2 or 3 times a day. Then, one day, I decided to put some on the floor in a basket. It's been 2 weeks now and they each will go and grab a book and chill out....yes, my crazy 1 & 2 year olds! There's no fighting over books, no destroying of books....I'm amazed! I really should have done this a long time ago. So, now my vision is to create a little chill zone area where they can read...but on a budget of course. Any ideas? I like the idea of the wall shelves (where the books face out, and that way some books that I really don't want chewed on are up out of the way of my crawlers)...but those are expensive to buy.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    For now, you could use baskets and arrange the books according to age or themes or size (so many ways to do it). Just buy a few pillows from Walmart or somewhere for cheap and then put the baskets by the pillows. Let the kids know this is where they can come to look at books. Check out kijiji for someone selling a bookcase for cheap or Toys r us has bookcases for kids and they go on sale sometimes.
    I have my books in a small bookcase with two little couches (that pull out to beds) from Toys R Us beside them for the kids to look at books. I have seen these couches on kijiji too, so you might want to look into that as well.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bookworm For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I miss those days but i have a child who eats book corners and rips them! The book shelf is high enough out of the eaters reach and just short enough for the rest to get too. What about some matts shaped like bugs that they can put down and sit on!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have all my books on a book shelf with some chairs there and the kids are always there reading .... Most of my dck are over 2 so no chewing ; )

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I always have some board books down but the other paper kind are used at my discretion at the table away from the little ones. I do have a couple of the wooden tired shelves I got from a teacher store and love them. I like that I can roll them around the house and move them to where needed. I move the shelf to near the bathroom while we potty so everyone sits and "reads" till it is their turn for potty or diaper change. Nice way to keep everyone together and great method for after nap when they are still just waking up.

Euphoric !
    I have a whole shelf of board books but my group rarely looks at them. They are all action all the time and never sit still. I read to them while they eat their lunch because that's pretty much the only time of the day I have them pinned down, hehe. I'm not having luck with circle time right now at all because the age range is too great in my current group, 2 three year olds and 3 one year olds.

Oh I so agree Momof4. My 1 year olds could care less about circle time or reading time. If it's animated, action filled I manage to keep my 2 year olds focus briefly ( I let them just get up and go). Often it's for a very eager audience of 1, my 3 year old. When it comes to sitting and 'reading' quietly though...all will sit down at one point quietly and look at ( or chew) a book...go figure?!

~Anonymous~

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I have this shelf in a corner with a big bean bag chair. I also have a futon couch that the kids sit on to read books that is right by the book nook.

I bought this shelf on the sears website for $70.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Fruit loop....love this shelf! Books are up high enough away from the chewers ( could put the board/material books in the bottom). Where'd you find it? Oops saw the Sears part after
    Last edited by Dreamalittledream; 02-06-2012 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Mistake

~Anonymous~

Euphoric !
    Love that shelf too, Fruitloop!!
    If you need to make do, Walmart has small 2shelf bookcases for around 30 bucks. Then go to the hardware/home improvement store and get them to cut a thin piece of plywood or some such thing the same length of the shelving unit and an inch or two high. Attach that to the front, at the bottom of the shelf. Voila (sp?), you can display the books in the same manner.
    For seating, go to a fabric store and get some large-ish remnant pieces in fun colors/patterns. Make up some simple pillows, with a zipper on one side, so you can easily wash them. You can usually buy the big bags of cotton batting fairly cheap. Kids can then lay on them, lean them up against a wall, etc.