Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Proof of insurance

I am new to running a home daycare so this may be common pracitce. I interviewed a family and the ONLY questions the father asked was if we had liaibility insurance to run a daycare. Thanks to this site I knew about the additional insurance.

I did a follow up call to see if they were interested in the spot since they hadn't fully commited since their babies won't start for several more months. They had three questions. One was, could they get a copy of my liability insurance! I think this is odd. The insurance covers me, not them. I was honest with the mother and said that this concerned me since children get bump, bruises, scraps etc. and that stuff happens even when you are right there. Kids are kids. She acknowledged this and said they were just concerned that if the child ran out on the road and was hit by a car and died where they would go from there.

Is this strange? What would you do? Should I be concerned?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

The insurance is for you and your home. How would they like it if we asked to see their car or home insurance?! I would tag this as a red flag, and pass them off to another provider. If they're asking about petty things like this, who knows what they'll bring up later on?!

This is a big fat NEXT for me!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yikes....so if their child ran out onto the road and died -- their first worry is to sue you?
    Umm.....I would think you would have other things to worry about
    Wow
    Scary.
    I would pass on these people. They seem to be thinking very dire thoughts and it does not seem normal to me

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Definitely don't provide a copy of this to them! It is not necessary and in fact, it almost sounds like they are some kind of con artists trying to steal your personal information! Especially since this is their first and only concern. As others have said, the insurance if for you, not them and it is strange that they would tihnk of a scenario in which their child were to die in your care and their concern would be money!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Or trying to find a loophole in the insurance contract they can use to get money. In other words if they can make a claim of "whatever infraction" they can sue for the total amount you are insured for per incident.

Best option is no further contact and heave a big sigh of relief one of the parents didn't "accidentally" fall on your stairs at the interview to test out the insurance policy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Booo! I would not only tell them no, but I'd also tell them what I thought about their invasive questioning.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks everyone. The tricky part is they are my next door neighbours ...

Euphoric !
    Omg .... I don't know what else to say .... Ummm maybe tell them that you have decided not to accept families that are friends or family cause this sounds like it's not going to end well .... Good luck

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    If it is your neighbour then I really would make up something and say that you have given it thought and you don't think it is a wise idea.
    I did daycare for my neighbour for 8 weeks in the fall because they kept asking me and assured me it was only for 8 weeks until the mother was off work.
    I did do it but the whole time I found it kind of awkward because it felt strange exchanging money between neighbours, having them come into my house and then seeing them on weekends and around the neighbourhood.
    Where daycare families are concerned - I say the more distance the better. I don't think I ever want to do it again for someone I know or live that close too.
    Imagine if something went wrong and someone was unhappy with the arrangement. eeks. Then you would still have to see each other all the time and it would be unpleasant.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If they are your neighbour then you might want to come right out and tell them that their hangup with the insurance was what we call a red flag in the daycare business meaning something that has nothing to do with providing care for the child and therefore you wish them well in finding care but so that they don't put off too many caregivers with their questions would they like to talk about why this was important to them and would they like some advice on what is really important for caregivers and parents to know.

I would be wanting to find out just what they were thinking and why. I mean afterall if they live next door what if a parent or child steps on their property or the ball goes over the fence into their prize petunias....

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: