Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    What they are really asking is do you expect them to pay for those days and how will it effect them. Some take vacation days by hubby being off work for two weeks and doing stuff around the house or even taking the whole group on outings with just the odd family day and daycare kids stay home. Others take a month off every summer and go to visit relatives.

What we have to remember in home care is that if the family goes to a daycare centre those are not issues because when one staff member has vacation or a sick day there are others to cover and so the daycare family just carries on as normal. With homecare what we do matters. If you close every time you or your child needs an extra cuddle day then families are left in the lurch and if they don't have family in the area will likely pass you by. Also some that have vacation and sick days built into their contract simply use them sick or not as in a personal day. Not saying we don't deserve them but again since not everyone does it a family looking for continuity of care will pass a provider by that seems to want time off all the time.

When answering an email like that it is also ok to say something like yes I take vacation just as you the parents get vacation days and personal days from your work - as in remind the parent that they get them.

Things change over the years too. When our kids were small and we lived in Calgary we took three weeks every summer and drove back to Ontario to visit the grandparents.

Once our kids got old enough to go to university that was hubby's vacation time - taking the kids and their stuff to their respective universities end of Aug and going and getting them end of April. No room in the van to make it a family vacation. So for me I just carried on doing daycare during vacation time. I do inhouse vacation days. That means every so often I just have to get caught up on stuff and they play or watch tv all day while I do more of my own thing and parents appreciate the continuity and the kids like the break too.

I also did what flex fun did I responded to parents looking and found some of my first clients that way.

Expansive...
    I guess the responses I get from Daycarebear are usually more thoughtful. usually responses advise me of their child's age, when they need daycare and then ask a few questions about availability.
    Kijiji just seems more like a buy and sell site to me and the questions I got about fee, whether I take vacation and sick days make it seem like they are bargain hunters rather than serious.
    I am going to reply in a bit once I gather my thoughts but I just am not sure kijiji garners the best responses for me. Maybe it is my area or something
    Thanks for all your feedback guys

Euphoric !
    I interview kijiji parents veeeeerrrrrry carefully. I agree with you spixie that parents who come from daycarebear are more informed people and have gone the extra mile to find quality caregivers.

Word of mouth is the best from your current clients recommending you to co-workers. Advertising at hospitals, big corporations, libraries, variety stores, putting a flyer around in the neighbourhood mailboxes. There are so many things you can do, just get your name out there. Walking around the neighbourhood or at parks and playgroups with your daycare children works wonders too. You meet lots of Moms about to go back to work from maternity leave.

Euphoric !
    One of the reasons the parents from Daycarebear don't have the same questions is because more information is available in our listing including when the space is open, the ages we are taking, the price, our hours, a full description etc. When we post on kijiji or similar sites we tend to condense it and give out only a bit of info with the idea we want parents to call us to get the details so we can convince them to come and interview.

Euphoric !
    I think the reason I've had good luck with kijiji is that I have a link to my website which offers most of the information they need (although I don't put my vacation or sick days on the website). I've always found great families through Kijiji although I have to admit, as a parent, it never would have occurred to me to look on Kijiji!

Euphoric !
    I use exactly the same ad on every website, even kijiji with a link to my website too. I think it's the website and all the pictures that pre-sell people because they see all the fun and action and get a sense of your home from those pictures.

Euphoric !
    I have found, too, that with kijiji, you find a lot more "tire kickers". People who are just asking questions, etc.
    That said, I still received most of my past business from that site!