Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I think the reference to everyone was to daycare providers and comparing them with those that have ECE training and those that don't. I don't think she was referring to the world of mothers at large.

Outgoing
    Where I live a daycare provider was charged with child abuse just a couple months ago...lived right around the corner from me, its a scary world we live in now

Outgoing
    That is why I charge more then other providers. I have qualifications and the experience. My fees does put those parents' who are after a cheap care behind my doors. I tell parents' at the interview that I'm not a babysitter or a stay at home mom(no disrespect). Therefore, this will affect on my fees. I now have 3 families and all of them are very happy with my care.

People think that looking after children is an easy job, just sit with them and let them play by themselves. Well, no it is not! No wonder why many people doesn't recognise this job as a profession.

Cocoon

Starting to feel at home...

Stay at home moms?????

If I'm not mistaken, most of us on this forum, regardless of our backgrounds, are stay at home moms!!!!! Although I have several degrees in the child care field I have never been handed the ability love a child given automatically with my degree at graduation. You have it or you don't, it does not come from a course. Even though I can not bear to put my daughter in child care, many people do not have this luxury, if I had to, a degree on the wall would not be the first thing I looked for in a provider. I do not mean this to be insulting in any way....why would I insult myself, ha ha!

Outgoing
    I think people are taking my post the wrong way. I didn't mean to insult ALL stay at home moms as like Emily says we are all stay at home mom's in a sense. What I was meaning, but perhaps didn't phrase properly was that just having a child doesn't make someone a good daycare provider. Just as taking a photo does not make someone a photographer...does that make more sense? Again, I'm sorry if people thought I was 'bashing' stay at home Mom's...that was not my intent at all!

Euphoric !
    I don't think you should ever call yourself a stay-at-home-Mom if you are running a daycare. You are a working woman who owns a small business and don't you ever forget it!

In my opinion the line is drawn between a 'babysitter' and a daycare or dayhome provider who is running a program and is dedicated to her business, her clients and the children. The prices we charge are due to our surroundings or the city we live and none of us is paid what we are worth because of society's notions about us. That's why we have to demand respect from others and let them know that we are not just 'babysitters who want to make some cash'.

Outgoing
    Momof4 you phrased it soooo much better then I did

Starting to feel at home...
    Sorry, my point was just that to me, a mother choosing to stay home to raise her children does not mean laying on the sofa eating bon bons while the kids watch tv. I choose to share my home with other people's children because I believe it is best for my children to have both worlds, me home with them and other children to interact and grow with. I am darn good at what I do and have never met anyone who thought this was an easy way to make extra money so I don't have to bother going back to work.

Outgoing
    OK. the meeting is over. They are very nice family and the boy is very! active. He is 18 months old and does not like to eat solid food. He likes his pure food and English will be his second language. They're hoping he will get my accent I told them I hope not

I'm sure you will soon read my "I'm going to kill myself" posts.

Cocoon

Euphoric !
    18 months and not on solid food? Oh yes, you are in trouble if you take this on! Hopefully you can get the little guy to eat and teach the parents a thing or two.