Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

To 'wipe' or not (mealtime)

First of all have to say I love the full sleeve nylon Ikea bibs, those have been a godsend both with my own children for years and my dck...they last forever! But, so far I've been using (my own) sensitive wipes for clean-up time after meals in my home daycare.
    Would like a greener (& cheaper) alternative that would work in my daycare setting. With my own, we use a baby washcloth after each meal...but can't think of how this could work in the playroom, where I don't have a sink within eyesight. What do you use?
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Shy
    Every Monday, Wednesday and Friday I used to make a mixture of water and tea tree oil then wet a pile of the little baby facecloths with it. When they are folded in half they fit nicely in a wipes container. The tea tree oil is a natural antibacterial and will help them stay fresh. Now that you've got me thinking of that again I really need to get back into it

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CountryHill For This Useful Post:

Nice idea. How much tea tree oil do you need (ratio oil to water)? I tried the washcloths in baby soap and water...just didn't work out.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

Outgoing
    I just have about 20-30 baby face clothes and each day each kid has their own facecloth...throw it in the wash at the end of the day. They're super-cheap...you can even get them at the $ store. Cheap, environmentally friendly, easy and sanitary!

Euphoric !
    I have 5 little plastic tubs that sit on the counter and each holds their cup since I rinse and use for the day and their washcloth. Stopped using the baby ones cause I found they didnt' take off as much mess as a regular cloth does especially on a 3 year old. Just uses the ones you buy by the dozen at giant tiger or walmart or similar as in cheap quality but good for what I need. I rinse them in super hot water and leave them in the ball I rung out. By the time I need them and open them up they are still warm enough to use which would be your option without water as I am assuming you come near water before the meal starts. I just collect the cloths and do a load at the end of the week. I have a chest of drawers in the area next the kitchen and one of the drawers is full of cloths and extra bibs.

Euphoric !
    I do a load of laundry every other evening so on laundry day I use facecloths for the children and on the non-laundry day I use wipes too. That way I'm not using wipes every day in case they are irritating to the children's skin.

Euphoric !
    I use the baby washcloths as well. Each kid has their own colour so I don't get mixed up and use the same one on a different kid (they have their own colour of cup as well). I like Playfelt's idea of having separate little tubs to hold them...I may do that as it beats having them sitting in piles on the counter top all day

Starting to feel at home...
    I use wipes I just by them by the box at superstore I use their brand I find the quality really nice and try to load up when they are on sale. But I also supply wipes for bums unless you want a special kind. I only have two that need to be wiped down though the rest are bigger. But we use them to wipe down when out on feild trips and such to.

Expansive...
    I also use washcloths. Even for days that we're outside and I know it's going to be a messy snack or sand day I dampen a washcloth with soap and leave it still a bit wet - put it into a ziplock bag and it stays moist! Same can be used for plastic containers...use a small one in your playroom with soapy water and the washcloths soaking in them - take out as you need!

Just don't leave them there over night so not go grow 'germs' LOL

Shy
    I think that's a great idea and will start doing that too (till now I had them hanging on the back of their chair... but they sometimes swap places...