Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tax time!

Starting to feel at home...

Tax time!

Hi! This is my first year doing taxes for a home day care and just wanted to ask you veterans a grocery question! I have just added all my receipts up and spent $1751.36 on groceries for 3 dck from May until December. Does this seem excessive?????? Thanks everyone!

Expansive...
    Not at all excessive. Surprising though, wasn't it! I don't provide lunches but I do provide snacks. Last year my write off was over $700. this year its $1090.00
    Last edited by Cadillac; 02-14-2012 at 09:46 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

Great, was just wondering what the government considers 'reasonable' since that is thenword they use in the tax guide!! On a similar note, I have been looking through all the old tax posts here and many people have posted the idea of writing off as much as possible to bring income down to next to nothing......how on earth can you write off $20000 worth of stuff?????

Expansive...
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you'd be surprised what you can do. I do that too. But its not cheating at all since I only write off exactly what I use.
    you can write off: You mortgage or rent, hydro bill, phone bill, internet bill, grocery bill, wipes,, diapers, your car payments and gas if you use it with the kids, food, crafts, CPR and first aid certifications, assistant's paychecks, office supplies, paper, printer ink, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, my god the list goes on and on.

Do you have the governments guide to owning your own daycare? send me your email and I'll send it to you. it's a good guide to have and you might be mad at how many receipts you didn't save this year
    Last edited by Cadillac; 02-14-2012 at 10:26 AM.

Expansive...
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by Spixie33; 02-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Expansive...
    That's all you spent on food from May-dec?

I save every receipt for everything and for 2011 my family of 4 plus the 4.5 daycare kids cost $11,000 (yes THOUSAND) dollars in food.

Of course the accountant will divide out weekends and my family but considering I feed the daycare kids 3 times and 5 days a week I am sure they will still be closer to 3 or 4 thousand for groceries /meals

i spent thousands on daycare equipment i.e strollers, craft supplies, playards, presents, books

I think it is possible to get my income very low for this year if not wiped out if I claim everything but I am not sure what is better.

On one hand I have all the receipts and tracking that I could claim a TON of stuff but on the other hand getting back a tax report that shows I make less money affects us if we apply for loans and also means I will miss paying into CPP etc this year. I am deciding whether to actually not claim everything I am entitled to for that reason
    Last edited by Spixie33; 02-14-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Outgoing
    I spent over $8000 in food just for the daycare.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexFunCare View Post
    HAHAHAHAHAHA you'd be surprised what you can do. I do that too. But its not cheating at all since I only write off exactly what I use.
    you can write off: You mortgage or rent, hydro bill, phone bill, internet bill, grocery bill, wipes,, diapers, your car payments and gas if you use it with the kids, food, crafts, CPR and first aid certifications, assistant's paychecks, office supplies, paper, printer ink, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, my god the list goes on and on.

Do you have the governments guide to owning your own daycare? send me your email and I'll send it to you. it's a good guide to have and you might be mad at how many receipts you didn't save this year
    Thanks flex! I have the printed guide! My husband is actually an accountant (very handy) but I am trying to sort things out on my own too....I like to know what I'm doing, ha ha!

Hi Spixie! I only have 2 full time and 1 part time dck! Also, I do separate shopping....and it now seems like my kids don't eat much, ha ha!! I also have receipts for toys, crafts etc. but certainly not thousands worth! I want to pay into CCP so that part doesnt bother me.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Emily3 View Post
    Thanks flex! I have the printed guide! My husband is actually an accountant (very handy) but I am trying to sort things out on my own too....I like to know what I'm doing, ha ha!
    Very handy indeed. Does he give discounts to poor lowly daycare workers such as myself? LOL I like to organize myself too but I only trust myself so far and like others to do the actual filing.