Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Disinfecting many toys at once

I'm not sure if this topic has already been brought up but I was wondering if anyone had any advice for disinfecting LOTS of toys. As it is now I have a large play area with lots of toys. I do rotate the toys...I disinfect the toys then they get put away and I rotate them with other toys that have already been cleaned. Cleaning all the toys is a huge job because there are so many. There's also lots of smaller toys along with bigger ones. Right now I wipe down each toy with a disinfecting wipe and then rewipe it with a damp cloth. There's got to be a better, less time consuming way...how do you all clean lots of toys? Is there some kind of spray safe for kids or anything like that?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Marie For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I wipe them all down with the disinfecting wipes at night after the kids are gone too. Takes FOREVER...would love to know what others are doing too...not to mention the cost of all the wipes it takes to do so!

Expansive...
    I wipe with disinfecting wipes with they are starting to look a little dirty. otherwise, I spray with lysol once or twice a week (or when they are being put away)

I use coupons to keep costs down. I buy when the product is on sale and use coupons to bring the price down even more. When I do this I also buy in serious bulk. You might say that I have a SERIOUS stock pile of disinfectants.

Shoppers has the best deals on their sunday/monday only sales. They usually have something I use for the daycare on super-duper sale every few weeks.

But . . . I digress . . . . . I also hate disinfecting. I get my assistant to do it LOL
    Last edited by Cadillac; 02-16-2012 at 09:01 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Is spraying them with Lysol safe for the kids? I have two kids that constantly put things in their mouth and I'm worried about the harsh chemicals from a spray.

Outgoing
    I used to do the Lysol spray until one parent said her child got sick from putting a toy in her mouth that had been sprayed, ugh!

Outgoing
    I should clarify that this parent was a 'peach' to work with and complained about everything. Her child actually had pneumonia that I'm sure wasn't caused by the Lysol, but that's what she blamed it on. I use the new line of green products that they say are safe for the children even if they put in their mouths just in case.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie View Post
    Is spraying them with Lysol safe for the kids? I have two kids that constantly put things in their mouth and I'm worried about the harsh chemicals from a spray.
    I looked it up but can't find a clean answer.

one suggestion i saw a lot was to use diluted white vinegar. That would make my home reak though

Euphoric !
    I'm still a bleach person. I figure if they put it in our drinking water it can't be as bad as some of the other stuff out there. (1tsp to 2 cups of hot water is teh dilution I was given to use on toys and to dip for 10 min where possible then air dry). Those I can't dip I have set on an old sheet and sprayed 3 times in 10 minutes and then let air dry.

I find repeatedly putting toys in the dishwasher seemed to make them wear out faster as in it broke down the plastic - especially on infant teether types making them unsafe sooner.

To be honest I do not disinfect often. I wash with soap and water and just a quick dip in rinse water that has bleach in. I have a huge playroom and the actual amount of time any one of the toys is being played with is minimal. Therefore I only wash the popular toys routinely.

And even then only when we are in flu/cold season or someone in the home seems unwell. Otherwise we use the germs on the toys to build up our immunity.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

At the end of each week, ALL toys (small ones) get washed in the sink with regular dish soap and HOT water, and then air dried. At the end of each month, all small toys are washed in the sink with bleach and hot water, and air dried.

The big toys, the Fisher Price Little People Farm, House, Garage, etc. get cleaned with wipes. Every day, their booster seats get cleaned.

IF any toy gets put in a childs mouth, it gets tossed into the sink for when I do dishes next.

I did this when working in centers, so I'm just used to it now!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

I rotate toys every week. Dollarama sells mesh laundry bags. I put all my non-battery toys in this and they get a bleach/water dip once a month (I simply hook the mesh bags up in the shower and voila all dry the next morning. Toys with batteries and the large toys that stay in the daycare all the time get wiped with dishwashing soap (sanitizing) and warm water once a week (Friday nights for me). My 6 year old and 2 year old helpers love to help with the wiping down. The stuffed toys get put in the freezer once a month. I do use the lysol wipes on all counter surfaces, tables, chairs, microwave etc. each evening (I also go around the house and do all the doorknobs and taps)...it's a quick 10 min. max routine that I've gotten into.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post: