Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much...

Starting to feel at home...

How much...

would you pay say a grade 8 or highschool student to walk your daycare kids to your house from school?

$10/walk? 5 dollars each way.

Expansive...
    Depends on how many kids but i'm with gingerbread. around $10 seems reasonable

How long a walk is it ... how much I paid would depend on if it is a task that would take 10 minutes out of their day verses a task that would take an hour out of their day ... cause $10 an hour is one thing but paying someone a $1/minute is quite another - after all WE do not even earn that much
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Euphoric !
    I would also adjust the price based on how many she is walking. If it is one then remember that you are only making $20 a day or less and that includes giving snack. If it is more than one then you can increase the amount and share it around such as $5 plus $1 per extra child or something like that. That is still a minimum of $25 a week spending money for the girl which will seem like a fair amount as in don't pay more than you need to.

Euphoric !
    I have no idea how much I would pay, but one thing to be careful about is to make sure that the parents are okay with this as it will mean that for that brief time, that high school student is caring for the kids, but you are still ultimately responsible for what happens while they are walking. I am not sure I would be comfortable taking that risk, but then, I am a bit paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    .... I am not sure I would be comfortable taking that risk, but then, I am a bit paranoid
    Yup - me either which is why I do not do transport to school ... parents have to organize that on their own if they want their child to be here before and after and my handbook states I cannot accept or release to someone who is not over the age of 12.

I have not had to deal with it because in addition to providing their own transport a space is a space in my program and therefore they would have to pay me for a full day fee plus whatever they are paying the kid to walk back and forth and so forth - at this time I would personally rather have a child all day than forgo the income by offering a before and after school rate.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi