Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hiding a fever

Expansive...
    low fevers are a good thing! that is away to show that there is an immune response working or an inflammatory response- so I would not medicate for them.

But I tend to go on the side that if a kid is too sick to function then they are too sick for daycare- if everything I took a tylenol I had to stay home, I may as well never get out of bed!

The sad reality is that even before those symptoms appear they're already spreading it around, no? I totally agree that ideally, parents belong home with their parents, one on one...we certainly don't have the capabilities for one on one in our settings...nor the ability to get them medical care quickly should things worsen. But, with 4 boys of my own and only so many sick days to go around I can sure understand a parent's point of view. So, my policy is that if it's something that can be medicated by me and such medication allows them to function otherwise normally within the group, I'm ok with that.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

jec
    Your right ~ a virus/cold can be possibly spread before symptoms appear. Someone can be a carrier and spread it around. For that matter, a cold and virus can be caught anywhere. The grocery store, the handle we touch to open a door, even walking into someone coughing into the air and spreading germs. Some times a nasty virus can be brought into the daycare when parents and daycare providers think it is just a simple cold. As I think we all agree that we can't keep sending kids home every cold they get. We can't catch them all and hey, these are kids we are dealing with and they are building their immune systems and will catch almost everything under the sun! However, in a different situation, which is what I am talking about, when you KNOW your child is ill but want to drop them off as someone mentioned before to get in some time at work before the meds wear off is for me, unacceptable.
    We all have different policies with what we will accept and not accept into our daycare.
    As I mentioned I too am a Mom and worked outside the home and had our little ones in care. I've been that parent who had to take time off when I needed to be at work so I understand both sides as well.
    I think this forum is great to put things out there and get other's ideas. Some times a comment can even change the way you may look at something. I'm always open to learning new things and or seeing other points of view for sure!!
    That is the reason for me writing something to put out on my blog about bringing your child, when knowing they are ill to daycare~ it may just make someone think again about bringing a little one medicated to daycare. A put the shoe on the other foot perspective.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you for this post. I am dealing with this right now. DCG just started last Monday. Friday all of a sudden had a runny nose. Mom said she was better over the weekend but Tuesday she still had the runny nose (green, thick, yellow), cough, sneezing etc. Of course I don't think that Parents should stay home for every runny nose. But I must say that taking care of someone else's sick child is not terribly easy, especially one that is JUST transitioning into daycare

Now I also must say that around 10:00 this morning (4 hours after DCG got here) I noticed she looked a little flush and felt a little warm. After a quick email to Mom I find out, YEP Mom gave her Tylenol this morning without telling me. That really really bothers me. If your child is sick enough that she has a fever, she most likely NEEDS to be at home to rest. I think that the daycare environment can be a little overstimulating which means that she isn't getting the rest she needs to recover. Not to mention the child is waking up at 5:30 to come to daycare, isn't getting good rest and is adjusting to a new routine. Routine at home is also non-existent, she eats and sleeps whenever. Not to mention giving Tylenol and not informing me can be dangerous.

I'm putting up with it this time because Mom did just go back to work. I know it's not easy to take a day off in the first two weeks of being back. Now lets hope the rest of us don't get sick, cause we all know there is no way I can take a day off

I am thinking putting together this "why you shouldn't bring your child to daycare on fever reducing medication" is a fantastic idea... I think I may do the same!!

My 10 mo got a fever on the weekend, and the mom asked me what my policy was. I stated that she must be fever free without the aid of medication for 24 hrs. She had a fever for 2 days (fever would show up when meds wore off), mom took her to the doctor, and it turns out her ears were infected.

I NEVER take a child with fever unless a note is brought stating that it is due to teething and NOTHING ELSE. (I also stated this to mom)

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    I am definitely not lax on this...if a child has a fever, I don't accept them. The problem is, we don't know what they are coming down with until later on when they have already exposed all the others to it. I will NOT give tylenol or advil to the kids, so if they need it they should stay home. This is for two reasons: 1) if the child is sick enough to need it then they are either contagiuos or not feeling well enough to participate fully in the daycare day 2) I feel it is a liability to give kids medication (unless prescribed by a doctor) in case they have a reaction to it and I am blamed for incorrect dosage etc. I agree with the original post that it is not fair to the other kids or the provider to send a sick kid to daycare. I know it is hard on the parents to take time off work (I've been there), but it is part of being a parent.
    This is my opinion exactly!

I tell parents that if they drug their child to reduce the fever as soon as it goes back to 101 F they are getting a phone call to come pick up their child anyway so why not just stay home and take care of their child. I believe that a fever is a symptom masking or giving a clue of the real problem and the root of that problem, ear infections that we cannot see for example, can only be discovered by a doctor.

Usually a virus means a lower than normal temperature and yes I allow children in with a virus, cough, clear runny nose, you can't do anything about them. We are all going to catch it and I hate that but it happens all the time.

Euphoric !
    While I certainly agree that if I turned away every child that was feeling "under the weather", I would never have kids here in the winter, I think the real issue is a lack of trust.
    When mom doses the child, drops off, and doesn't say anything, THAT I take issue with. If something happened, and an ambulance was called (heaven forbid, but it COULD happen) what is the first question that the EMTs will ask?? If the child showed symptoms of discomfort and the provider administered more tylenol/advil, what would the results be then?
    What I expect from a parent is complete honesty. I want to hear "Just so you know, I gave little Suzie some pain reliever this morning. She had a slight fever, hopefully just from teething. She may be feeling under the weather, and if it gets much worse, call me. But I am not able/can't afford, etc, to stay home on the chance that she MIGHT be ill." Said in a sincere tone, looking for my understanding.
    I will take that any day over a parent being sneaky. In fact, I would likely let a child stay longer than I might normally, if the parent and I had already had that discussion. If I have an idea that you are trying to hide a possible illness, I will be waaaaay less flexible!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

jec
    I'll post once I'm finished if your interested in taking ideas or just cut and paste if you want Olivetree. I would let the Mom know that you understand that she is just returning to work but she needs to be upfront when giving her little one any fever reducing medicine. UGH!

If you dope up your child and bring them to daycare in an attempt to mask an illness, fever, diarrhea, vomitting etc etc and I find out you are terminated on the spot.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you jec! I would love to read it!

I think I am going to have to tell Mom today that LO is not allowed back into care until the sickness clears up. I feel so so bad but I'm tired of taking care of a sick child who is also in transition. I'm not sure what to say though... She has no fever. Just green/yellow/thick snot that is dripping so often and so much its' it drips into her mouth! She's coughing, sneezing, grumpy and exhausted. What is her mom to do though? Take her to the dr. who is just going to say it's a virus and to let it run it's course? When is she allowed back into care? It's already been 11 days!

I do have an illness policy but I tend to agree that making kids stay home for every runny nose is kind of too much. But where do you draw the line?