Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Parents on government subsidy

Has anyone had experience with parents that are on assistance for Childcare? I have a new family starting that is fully covered so the government will pay me the full monthly rate instead of the parents.
    I'm a bit worried because I can't claim subsidy for more then 2 weeks out of the year that child is absent. In my policy it states fee is due regardless so I'm worried the parents will not afford to pay out of pocket. Can anyone share good or bad parent experiences regarding subsidy?

My rates are higher than subsidy pays, so parents have a parent portion that they are expected to pay. I personally haven't had a problem with not being able to claim their amount. I do include subsidy policies in the contract including parent portions and missed days being the parents financial responsibility because I can't claim for those days. If parents think this may be out of reach for them, then it is up to us to decide before the contract is signed if we can accept the risk of the loss of income.

But right now, I currently have 3 children that are subsidized and all is good!

Starting to feel at home...
    I've dealt with two subsidized families and I have to say that it's been a nightmare dealing with the parents. I don't nearly get enough pay for these children to put up with their parents. They are constantly dropping off their children when they are not working and are on holidays. What's wrong with them? Don't they want to be with their kids?
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

do you have to go through an agency , or can you keep the client as private?
    I have a private client that just told me she aplied for subsidy . i not sure yet if she'll get it . but i'm just wondering how it works . i am enrolled with an home childcare agency and i've had in the past a subsidyzed client with them but never had to deal with it privatly. any advise? do i have to pass this client to the agency and will it be easier as well?
    thanks for your time

I wouldn't ever take subsidy clients. It goes against what I believe with respect to having kids and paying for them.

Besides, I don't want a parent to suddenly sob-story we with their reason for non-payment because their subsidy didn't come through etc.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I did it twice and will never do it again. Both the parents sent them every day even though they did not work. In the end both were terminated for nonpayment.
    I don't want to generalize but my experience was not a good one.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    I wouldn't ever take subsidy clients. It goes against what I believe with respect to having kids and paying for them.

Besides, I don't want a parent to suddenly sob-story we with their reason for non-payment because their subsidy didn't come through etc.
    I just have to comment on this. If we don't subsidize daycare for those who cannot afford it, would you be happy to pay for the whole family to be on welfare so that the parents can stay home with the kids? Or would you rather see them living on the streets? Or, if, as it seems you suggest, people who cannot afford daycare do not have kids, how are we going to solve the problem we are already facing in this country due to labour shortages and lack of population growth? Furthermore, it is possible and actually happens quite often, that parents have good jobs and plan their families and then one parent loses a job and has to settle for something lower paying etc...bad things happen to good people. Should we say, too bad, you shouldn't have had kids if you couldn't afford the daycare? And aside from all this, I don't think that subsidized parents are any more likely than non-subsidized parents to not pay since they are actually getting a portion paid making it more manageable. As for those who mentioned people on subsidies leaving their kids in care when not working...that happens all the time with non-subsidized parents and has more to do with parental decisions than money! I get frustrated with generalizations of this type. I actually wanted to go with an agency because I wanted to be able to take people with subsidies, but decided against it because of the lower wages for me and the age restrictions. Otherwise, I would absolutely accept people on subsidies.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kangaroomama View Post
    I just have to comment on this. If we don't subsidize daycare for those who cannot afford it, would you be happy to pay for the whole family to be on welfare so that the parents can stay home with the kids? Or would you rather see them living on the streets? Or, if, as it seems you suggest, people who cannot afford daycare do not have kids, how are we going to solve the problem we are already facing in this country due to labour shortages and lack of population growth? Furthermore, it is possible and actually happens quite often, that parents have good jobs and plan their families and then one parent loses a job and has to settle for something lower paying etc...bad things happen to good people. Should we say, too bad, you shouldn't have had kids if you couldn't afford the daycare? And aside from all this, I don't think that subsidized parents are any more likely than non-subsidized parents to not pay since they are actually getting a portion paid making it more manageable. As for those who mentioned people on subsidies leaving their kids in care when not working...that happens all the time with non-subsidized parents and has more to do with parental decisions than money! I get frustrated with generalizations of this type. I actually wanted to go with an agency because I wanted to be able to take people with subsidies, but decided against it because of the lower wages for me and the age restrictions. Otherwise, I would absolutely accept people on subsidies.
    Yes, yes and yes.... pretty much everything you said about the WHY of my not agreeing with subsidy are true.

I'm okay with admitting that.

I know LOTS of moms and dads on subsidy who send their kids to daycare on their days off. Why should I pay for daycare when it's not needed?? Sure, clients of mine do that but THEY are the ones footing the bill for it - it's different.

I don't agree with it because I think we live in a time of entitlement. I think a lot of families simply have two working parents to afford bigger homes and the latest and greatest that they don't necessarily NEED but just WANT. Well, sorry, but I shouldn't have to pay for your daycare so you can drive a bigger SUV or have a bigger TV.

You know, 60 years ago only one parent worked and people stayed home and actually raised their own kids. They had what they needed to live, they were fed, they were clothed and they spent a lot of time with their kids. But we have moved so far away from that. We have created a society where where we THINK we need two incomes and that comes at the expense of the taxpayer and the kids.

I have no problem if two parents want to work because I am all for CHOICE. But, when you make CHOICES you should make them with the consideration that you can AFFORD those choices.

I hate our social welfare system. I also think we should get rid of universal health (sick) care, daycare subsidy, and pare down welfare.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Yes, yes and yes.... pretty much everything you said about the WHY of my not agreeing with subsidy are true.

I'm okay with admitting that.

I know LOTS of moms and dads on subsidy who send their kids to daycare on their days off. Why should I pay for daycare when it's not needed?? Sure, clients of mine do that but THEY are the ones footing the bill for it - it's different.

I don't agree with it because I think we live in a time of entitlement. I think a lot of families simply have two working parents to afford bigger homes and the latest and greatest that they don't necessarily NEED but just WANT. Well, sorry, but I shouldn't have to pay for your daycare so you can drive a bigger SUV or have a bigger TV.

You know, 60 years ago only one parent worked and people stayed home and actually raised their own kids. They had what they needed to live, they were fed, they were clothed and they spent a lot of time with their kids. But we have moved so far away from that. We have created a society where where we THINK we need two incomes and that comes at the expense of the taxpayer and the kids.

I have no problem if two parents want to work because I am all for CHOICE. But, when you make CHOICES you should make them with the consideration that you can AFFORD those choices.

I hate our social welfare system. I also think we should get rid of universal health (sick) care, daycare subsidy, and pare down welfare.
    Very well said Judy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    The 2 families I had were both on "social assistance" I know for a fact they were scamming the system AND none of them worked. So I took care of their kids all day so they could go hang out with friends,go to internet cafes,go shopping etc.
    I have a SERIOUS issue with this. One of them often tried to bring me her child when she was sick even.
    So I made a personal choice only to accept families who work from now on.

Also, because they were on social assistance, they only had to pay 10$ a week and somehow they still could not manage that.