Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

4-9 year old craft ideas for a 1950's theme B-day party!

Hi ladies,

Having a 4th birthday party for my little one. 1950's Soc Hop theme, can anyone think of a great craft idea for us to do? We are already decorating felt poodles to go on our skirts on arrival as some people take a while to arrive.

Ideas please!

LOVE IT!!!!

Off the top of my head ... things that were popular in the 50's

Hula Hoops ... ou could also make your own hula hoop.... here is a how to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBreLABeqlI ... decorate them up and can up beans or rice in them to make noise and so forth. Then you could have contest to see who can get it around the most or games with the hula hoop like pass it down the line without 'letting go hands' or something?

Vintage 50's Jewellery was popular - including 'Cameo' necklaces you could make personalized 'Cameo necklaces' using Shrinky Dink paper where you trace their silhoettes and shrink it down either using a photocopier if you have one and transfer to the Shrinky Dink paper and make a necklace adding pearls and what not? Or just google different 'vintage' jewellery and offer up 'inspirations' for them and give a variety of beads and let them make necklaces as they like?

Yo Yo's were popular - so yo yo games?

Slinky's game out too - so race your slinky down the stairs?

Making Old Fashion Milkshakes

Can you get your hands on a really old record player? Cut paper in circles and 'spin the player' while dropping paint onto it to 'make your own record'?

Hope that helps - if anything else pops into my noodle I will come back and add to it
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Oh thought of another one ... for the 'loot bag' you could buy them each 8x11 frames from the Dollar store decorate the frame with 50's themed items for the craft store - should be able to find some vintage embellishments and so forth and make a matching scrap page layout - than take their group photo to place on the layout ... either print them out yourself during the party or send them to guests afterward - nice keepsake and healthier than 'candies' in the traditional loot bags?
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    Thanks! I love, love, love the hoola hoop idea. Instead of making them myself though I will get some from the buck store and we can decorate them with stickers and colored tape. May and try and see if I can take them apart and add rice inside!

I bought a cardboard 1950’s pink convertible picture to take photos of everyone and will be making that the Thank You card!

I alread have the loot bags done, old fashioned pop corn boxes loaded with vintage toys and candy!

Euphoric !
    For the music don't forget Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis and Chuck Barry and the Beatles. I love all the suggestions the other ladies made for activities. Roller skates, jiffy pop, malted milk balls, skipping and hula hoops all come to mind to me too.