Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Red face Need some advice on opening a Home Based Day Care

I am in London Ont. and am a married Mom of a 14 heard old son and a nineteen year old daughter. I am thinking of having a home based Day Care and have saved for this. I need everything. Can you experienced providers tell me what to invest in and what not to waste my money on. I am planning on getting my first aid, CPR, Police check and extra home ins. I own a townhouse so I do have a smaller backyard but have near by parks, a library amd a community centre. I am planning on having 3 full time or part time equivalent. I will need some sort of stroller for outings. I plan on a contract, providing breakfast, lunch and 2 snacks as well as daily schedule of activities and a website. Is 30.00 a day for full time too low to start? Should I plan on one playpen high chair and a few nap mats. I have a lot of room in my basement rec room, as well as another Seperate but attached empty bedroom and a bathroom on that level. I'm awake at 5 a.m everyday and am not sure what hours to start at but would like pick ups by 4:30p.m. And only 9hours per child. Why out of all my craziness sounds practical? Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Shy
    Oh, I forgot to add any advice on toys appreciated. Thanks.

Shy
    I also should have mentioned I have over 10 years of experience working with children with developmental disabilities and years of experience working in a before and after school program and in the past year have been caring for a 3 year old boy on a part time basis but have never had a home Child Care Buisness. Thanks everyone.

Outgoing
    In regards to your fees I would check out some ads for home daycares in your area to see what people are offering and what they are charging. It tends to vary price wise depending on where you live.
    For your equipment, you can start out with one of each to show parents that you are set up, but it really depends on the ages of the kids you take into care.
    You are the boss, so you can pick your own hours. Some parents need to start pretty early so you may be able to get clients who need early start and early pickups.
    In regards to toys, get the basics, don't go crazy buying lots of toys as more isn't always better. Check out kijiji ads and buy used so you can save money.
    Hope this helps and good luck.

Shy
    Thanks Ashleigh.

I agree with Ashliegh - setting your fees depends on what the market can bare in your area combined with the service, experience and so forth that you offer in comparison to others ... in London fees range anywhere for $25 - 40 a day depending on the area you live in, demand for care and service being offered....definitel y research your competition so to speak.

As for toys and equipment ... I would opt for choosing open ended materials in your playroom to start .... materials that can be used in a variety of different ways and can be used different by various age groups. I have very few 'baby toys' in my program aside from 'teethers' - babies play with the same thing everyone else plays with just differently.

IMO key areas to have are:

A dramatic play area for role playing and fantasy play ... things to dress up with, to make meals, play restaurant with, take care of babies, go to 'work' and so forth as they explore with their imagination - Value Village is a GREAT place to seek real materials for this area that can be used by all age groups .... fabric strips can be used for 'dress up' can be explored by babies as they touch different textures, pots and pans for clanging and putting things in and out of and so forth while older children will actually create imaginary play with them, collapsible crates, keyboards, phones, cameras, hats, jackets, dresses, aprons. Collect REAL things from your recycling like milk cartons, boxes, containers and so forth for 'fridge' which are FREE and no skin off your nose if they get ruined or chewed - just toss em out and collect some new ones. Large river stones from the dollar store can be 'food' in the kitchen centre, can be money and a variety of other things in the playroom. Save the 'lids' from dried out markers they too make great food as well as 'animal claws' or finger puppets - have seen my crew use these for hordes of things - even connecting them and making them 'roads' for cars or towers in the block area

A block area with a variety of wooden blocks, vehicles, little people, animals and so forth for building cities, zoos and other 'imaginary play' with.

A book nook ... books, puppets, felt board stories. puzzles and so forth for exploring literacy and story telling and 'quiet' play.

A small table area for creative exploration and sensory exploration as well as a place where older children can play with materials that the smaller 'babes' cannot knock over or disturb.

With those four areas covered children should be able to stay engaged for long periods of time ... you can than build and add any floor toys or 'rotational' toys to these areas as your program grows and define and develop on these areas

For ideas on your playroom set up - google home childcare settings and daycare centre set ups and see what inspires you

Congratulations on your new endeavor!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Shy
    Thanks Reggio. You've given me a wealth of info.

Your welcome - I remember how exciting it was getting to design my play space for the kiddies ... having good 'bones' makes it easy to maintain ... storage space is so limited in your homes that when choosing anything for the program I always want to make sure it can be used for multiple purposes so that if it is not being 'used' I can set out a new or different invitation to respark their interest in it - do not like having to 'rotate' too many toys but rather keep the same staples and just think of new ways to use them
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Expansive...
    I would start collecting ideas for games and songs and circle time activities now too. this way when parents come you have not only a play room to show them but specific educational activities to show them. Other than that Reggio and Ashleigh have said just about all there is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by FlexFunCare View Post
    I would start collecting ideas for games and songs and circle time activities now too. this way when parents come you have not only a play room to show them but specific educational activities to show them. Other than that Reggio and Ashleigh have said just about all there is to say.
    Oh great idea ... but no need to buy them if you live in London

http://www.childreach.on.ca/

Check out Childreach - they offer a home childcare training course, toy lending library, resource lending library, a workshop where you can make games and felt board stories and so forth as well as they sell premade ones if you do not have time and want your own or you can get a membership for like $25 and sign out education kits ... than no need to spend money or STORE a whole much of stuff ... you can show prospective clients you belong to the resource centre and therefore have access to LOTS of rotational toys and materials to keep kids engaged
    Loris Malaguzzi