Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Smile Non-"Daycare" - re:Potty Training

Hey All

My little one who turned 2 three weeks ago has been very interested with the potty. I think it helps that the other two dck's are also using the potty. She'll sit on it and read her book then wants to wash her hands lol She comes up to us when she has poop and smacks her bum-bum and says she has "pee" It's a hit-&-miss with regards to waking up in a dry diaper though...

Hubby and I were thinking of trying with her to see if it works! (if after a week nothing changes we'll try again in a month or so) but I read some many different way and got a lot of advice I don't know where or how to start!?

Advice? Tips?

I'm asking for step by step's, one person said just put her in underware and she'll hate getting dirty then tada (ummm.....no) one said wait until she always wakes up from nap & overnight with a dry diaper (I'm not waiting unti she's 5yrs old haha)

~~~~~~~~~~~~

If this works it'll be awesome!! that means we'll transition the crib into bed at the end of the year when hopefully we'll be expecting and it wont be too many changes at a time! **wishful thinking**

THANKS!!

Euphoric !
    Well, one good thing is her "awareness", and wanting a bum change. That is pretty big when it comes to potty training.
    When I potty trained my 2 boys and 1 girl (so far) I actually did do the undies around the house. BUT you don't just let them roam and wait for them to tell you they need to go! (not yet anyway) Every 20-30 minutes or so, I would say "time to go potty!" super-fun-happy-excited-voice, lol. We also did rewards (stickers, treats, etc) from time to time. I know for some people, the jury is still out on that, though.
    I didn't really use pull-ups, unless we were away from home or they were napping. None of my kids woke up dry, even when they were totally potty trained during the day. So I didn't wait on that.
    Good luck!!!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mom-in-alberta For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Forgot to say; be prepared to clean up a few messes, and if needed, throw out some undies!
    Take her shopping to pick out the big girl undies after she has started to have some success. And we would make jokes like "Remember, don't go pee on Dora!!" (if they were Dora undies).

Outgoing
    a dc parent potty trained her 18 month old daughter using the "Potty-Trained in 3 days" method. http://www.babycenter.com/0_potty-tr...ss_10310078.bc

Check it out! It worked like a charm for them. Difficult at first and expect lots of messes, but I will be trying this method when my son is ready.

Good luck!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonMom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Thanks ladies!!
    This seems to be the most commonly used method so maybe I'll look into it more

Stay tuned

Starting to feel at home...
    We did potty training in - well, it was 4 days not 3 - and it was great. It was a messy 4 days, but she got it after that. I highly recommend it. I'd be happy to answer any questions. And we did this just before my daughter turned 2.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jazmic For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Just read part of the article and not sure how the bare butt at home but in diaper and clothes at daycare would actually work in terms of teaching the child what to do. There is no way there will be any bare butts at my house my own with other kids here or other kids while in my house. Maybe I didn't read far enough in the article to get how it would work with constantly switching back and forth to diapers after the weekend of no clothes.

Expansive...
    Personally for my kids -- I started younger than most other parents. I started around 19 months old.

I also do not recommend getting a potty. I would get a stool they can climb and a soft toilet seat with their fav character. The actual pottys are really messy to clean and then you still have to retrain them from the potty to the big potty after so you have to train twice. Just go straight to the big toilet with a potty seat for their smaller bums and make sure it has a little cup to make sure the boy pee stays in.

I went to walmart and bought some of the training underwear. They are basically waffle underwear that are made of cotton but have a few layers to them.

around 19-20 months or so I would sit the children in the potty to get them used to it a couple of times - not expecting them to do anything. I would also show them how one of their dolls or stuffed toys could sit on the potty and fakely clapped for the doll/toy pretending it had done a pee or poop.

I also got lots of potty books from Chapters. Books like "Caillou Potty Time". They like the book and you show them and explain everything. It helps a lot too.

Then I put the child in the waffle underwear when they were awake with thick jogging pants.

If the child poops - toss the underwear. don't even bother cleaning....but the pee ones you can wash of course.

You will notice that your child suddenly realizes that they went pee/poop because they suddenly feel it on their skin with the cotton. Diapers are actually designed to pull moisture away from the baby/child so children are still quite comfy when they pee...but suddenly having that wet/dirty feeling come to the child brings awareness. Oh...when I push with my bum then poop comes out and I am dirty...oh I peed and that feels wet...etc

So after the child would pee I would put them back on the potty and explain the pee should have gone in the potty. And I would also try and take them there every hour to try to do a pee or poop.

During nap and sleep at night I used pullups. Diapers were gone so there was no confusion. No more changes while laying down...everything was done standing up like a big kid. Underwear and pulls ups were put on standing up and pulled up and down.

I would suggest waiting for a day where your child shows interest in the potty. They will study it, want to sit there on their own because they see you doing it or something or ask about it.

My dck are training now (3 of them) and they are all 3. My own kids were perfectly dry even at night by 2.5 tops. I find that the older kids are not easier to train. I figured they would understand better but they are actually less willing to try and more set in their ways

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    also -- one of my moms went gung ho with the 3 day method.

She booked a few days off work and really went cold turkey. Well 3 days my foot. It has been over 3 weeks and the child still has multiple accidents every day and the worst thing is that he hates pooping on the potty so will do that in his undies.

It is tough because I find it gross and don';t want it in my house or the pee and think that even at 3 he is not getting this method. It is probably too sudden for him. The mom is determined though so I am here >>>> Rock ME Hard place

I have days where I am about ready to stick a diaper back on him. Three year old pee does not smell pretty

Expansive...
    It's funny you mentioned that because my mom just called me and said "when you were kids we got these waffle underware...." lol

and Playfelt - I agree with the no-bare buts - we're not THAT open...lol