Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Horray, olive! I look forward to hearing how the rest of your day with her goes.

Starting to feel at home...
    Ok, so here's the update:

Friday morning she fell asleep quicker when I put her down first thing in the morning. Grandpa called and picked her up at 1:30 so no afternoon nap. I think this is common. I don't think they cater much to her routine, I'm pretty sure they let her decide nap time and bed time and when it's convenient for them.

So all week I have been putting her down as soon as she gets here. Some days she sleeps for 2 1/2 hours some days only 1 hour. She is still EXHAUSTED! She can't make it to afternoon nap at 12:30. But then she only sleeps 1 hour. Then wakes up exhausted still. This little girl just doesn't want to sleep. Monday Tuesday she was much better. Much less hitting. Wednesday she was terrible, back to hitting, making herself vomit. Today she only slept 1 hour so I know she's going to be grumpy!

I'm having a hard time with the routine. She goes to sleep when she gets here which is when my 2 wake up. Trying to keep them quiet is never easy. So I feed my kids breakfast, she wakes up, I feed her breakfast which is the same time my LO goes back to sleep for 45 mins. Then they have snack when she wakes up. By this time DC girl is so ready to go back to sleep but it's time for a walk, then lunch. I guess I could put her back to sleep instead of the walk but then she's up in time for my 2 to go down for afternoon nap. This leaves me NO time at all to myself. I can't see myself continuing this way, especially since I start at 6!

Please, any suggestions!

My trial period ends tomorrow but I REALLY don't want to leave the parents stranded especially because she is getting a little less aggressive. I just want her to sleep!
    Last edited by lunademiel; 03-08-2012 at 09:36 AM.

Also she goes to sleep with a bottle still.... I think this may be part of the problem, I think she's waking in between sleep cycles and is needed the same sleep association to fall back asleep. She has problems sleeping at home too. She's never learnt to self settle. Parents go to her immediately and rock her back to sleep or give her another bottle.

Euphoric !
    Can you get the parents to work on some stuff at home ? Consistency is the key! Even for pick up and drop off times always jeep them the same then the child knows ... After lunch I sleep then snack then mom/dad comes.... Kids use milestones throughout the day to know what comes next.....this is why its so important to have consistency ......same as having things done at home the same as at daycare then the child knows if I do "this" then "that" will happen 100% of the time weather at home or at daycare and that will encourage good behaviour and discourage bad behaviour.

I've asked the parents to try and follow a routine on the weekends and to try with a consistent bedtime and all they say is "but it's so hard when she's tired". I understand where they are coming from but believe me I KNOW how hard it is when she's tired LOL! I think tomorrow at pick-up I am going to ask them to stay for a quick chat and explain to them why she needs a routine and consistency. Some children are fine on less sleep, my daughter is 11 months, she wakes at 6 am, naps for 40 mins in the morning and 1 1/2 hours in the afternoon, goes to bed at 7 pm and is HAPPY, all day. She doesn't hit, bite, cry, or make herself vomit. This little girl on the other hand does all these things when she's exhausted, and she gets more sleep then my LO. So some kids can handle less sleep and some need more. This child NEEDS more sleep and NEEDS a strict routine. I am hoping they begin to see this, or I will have to terminate. I find it much too stressful that I can't turn away for 1/2 second while I change a diaper, or wash my hands, or cut up fruit. It's been 4 weeks now, I only have a couple left in me for this!

Ugghh thanks for letting me get that all out