Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Car Safety

Expansive...

Car Safety

there is a family who has 2 children aged- 4 and 2, and whenever I see them leave the children are not in safety seats. When I brought it up to mom she said that she never used a safety seat as a child and is fine..(well- a lot has changed in 30 years).

Husband says to leave it alone- they are her kids, but I cannot stop the thought that, if heaven forbid something were to happen, I would feel guilty for not intervening. What is the best course of action?

Well I would personally remind her that it is the LAW in your province and unfortunately failure to have a child properly restrained in a motor vehicle is a criminal offennce of child endangerment and if you witness it again you will have no choice but to report it to both CAS and the police as per child protection laws for professionals .. not sure about your province but in Ontario we are legally obligated to report concerns of abuse, neglect and endangerment ??? If something haopened and investigation showed we KNEW we could be found legally negligent as well
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Holy cow; seriously? Think an anonymous complaint to the police would be in order here.
    Children are great imitators.
    So give them something great to imitate.

~Anonymous~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreamalittledream For This Useful Post:

Google career crash test videos and email her the clips of what happens to a child not restrained in a car - yes we survived only because the law of averages meant we were not IN an accident ... more cars on road now going faster and more distracted = more life threatening accidents
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

It is against the law, and this is child neglect, plain and simple. I would call the police the next time she left my house. I would not hesitate. Yuck.

ETA: If you are not comfortable reporting her, let me know what time she leaves your house, and where you are, and I will place the call.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Inspired by Reggio View Post
    Well I would personally remind her that it is the LAW in your province and unfortunately failure to have a child properly restrained in a motor vehicle is a criminal offennce of child endangerment and if you witness it again you will have no choice but to report it to both CAS and the police as per child protection laws for professionals .. not sure about your province but in Ontario we are legally obligated to report concerns of abuse, neglect and endangerment ??? If something haopened and investigation showed we KNEW we could be found legally negligent as well
    Oh yes! Never even thought about our own personal liability here...good point. OP, cover your butt! Her negligence is not worth your livelihood.

jec
    What is this mother thinking!!!! I would call the next time you see her drive out as well!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jec For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yes, absolutely, 100% call. It is your responsibility as a caregiver to these children and as a person! She is neglecting her children's safety and well being, and using them to break the law.

Expansive...
    Freakin morons!!!!!! It's not the like seats are that expensive. you can get one for $50 at walmart. I'd report her

Expansive...
    Ditto with the other ladies, I'll call too!!
    If they get 4-5 calls she wont suspect you 'only' KWIM?
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!