Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Outgoing

Do parents really! can not afford our fees?

Maybe some of them but I can tell you not all. I have been contacted by a parent who said "*** this is the amount I can offer as I'm not on higher pay scale". The amount is way less then many day home providers charge in my area.

She send this email using her Iphone! Now, last time(a month ago) I looked at Iphones, they were expensive. $50 per monthly payment. Now, if anybody says that they struggle to make ends I tell them "first start to save money and get rid of your expensive habits like iphone, like shopping(they think buying cheap stuff is not expensive but if you keep buying those cheap stuff which you don't need, it will add up). Anyway, do you really belive parents or anyone really who says they are struggling but they have a nice house, nice car and living a good life? Well I know it is a bit cold for me to say but I don't.

Expansive...
    I've had parents make 'offers' like I'm up for bartering. I just say 'sorry this is what I charge, and this is why' Then I tell them to go on this website to see if they can find a provider in their price range.

LOL it is funny that she emailed that from her iphone though. She must be so hard done by . . . . maybe she's saving for the iphone 4. That's about a years worth of child care right there.

Gnah. I hate people like this! I can barely afford my cell phone, and it's $30/month! But there's no internet on it, because I don't NEED to be online 24/7!

As DH and I were chatting last night, it's amazing how much we NEED certain things in this era, where when we were growing up there was limited technology. I think some kids (and parents) need to live like they did in the 1920-40's and see how hard done by our past generations were! And to see how easy we have it now!

I never had anyone barter my rates, but I did have someone call an hour before their interview to meet me and say, "I found a better and cheaper daycare than you, so I'm not coming today". I was in shock and pissed off, but after a day or two of fuming, I let it go.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    Gnah. I hate people like this! I can barely afford my cell phone, and it's $30/month! But there's no internet on it, because I don't NEED to be online 24/7!

As DH and I were chatting last night, it's amazing how much we NEED certain things in this era, where when we were growing up there was limited technology. I think some kids (and parents) need to live like they did in the 1920-40's and see how hard done by our past generations were! And to see how easy we have it now!

I never had anyone barter my rates, but I did have someone call an hour before their interview to meet me and say, "I found a better and cheaper daycare than you, so I'm not coming today". I was in shock and pissed off, but after a day or two of fuming, I let it go.
    Thats just it maybe you need to menton before they come what are you looking for? Cheap Daycare or Quality care, that would ween out a ton of people!

jec
    I've never had anyone try to barter my rates!
    Who knows about the phone ~ could have been a gift/job pays for some or doesn't have a home phone but, anyone who wants to barter your rates is someone who you should just say thank you for your time and best of luck on your search for daycare.
    Fingers crossed that you get another interview soon!!

Expansive...
    Yeterday after replying with my rates for a 2yr old in cloth diapers and needs to be rocked to sleep still and is f/t, This is the actual reply email I got I'm copy & pasting it - Thanks but currently we pay 25.00 a day. The very max would be 30.00 but there are so many ads that are 25.00 so maybe we will get back to you. Thanks!

my reply was: Not a problem....according to the site you contacted me with daycarebear.com - in my area, actually within a 5km radius, for f/t under 4 years old, I'm one of the very few who charge under $35 a day. Good luck on your search, feel free to contact me should you change your mind.

Seriously???.....$35 is for a 'normal' dck, add in all the little extras and it's going to cost more!? I'm not holding my breath but *if* they come back asking for a spot "sorry I'm full"

Now I have a large group of friends and family who are in the new baby-having age and when I told most of them home much I charge they were shocked...then I told them how much a center in my area charges and they flipped! OMG How much?? lol ummm....yeah! Think about it $35 for aprox 9hrs = $3.88 an hour give.me.a.break
    Satisfaction Guaranteed or Double Your Kids Back!!

Expansive...
    Some people are unreasonable when it comes to childcare expenses. They don't want to give up a certain lifestyle and complain if quality childcare interferes with that! I had someone contact me and say: "I have 3 children ages 1,2 and 3 and will not pay more than $20/day" um, are you effing kidding me???? Unfortunately, some see our businesses as an extra money kind of thing instead of a contributing income. Ugh.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post:

Yup - life is about 'priorities' and when I hear people say they cannot 'afford' childcare IMO it is because they do not VALUE having to pay for it and therefore have not made it a PRIORITY in their family budget ... and well my response is 'sorry to hear that I cannot AFFORD to work for anything less than the fees I have posted on my website - if you truly cannot afford childcare you are likely eligible for subsidy so here is the information on where to apply and programs that accept that care model' .... and under my breath I think go bark up that tree cause chances are you already know you are NOT eligible and that by 'societal' standards you CAN afford to pay your own way you have just spent your money on other crap like a high end cellphone and data plan and other poor investments
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    "I found a better and cheaper daycare than you, so I'm not coming today". How does she know the other day home is better then yours before even meeting you and seeing your day home? Weird!

"Who knows about the phone ~ could have been a gift/job pays for some" I have met and know many people whose phones are bought and paid by their company but never heard a company bought Iphone and give it to their employees. They normally give blackberries. Hubby says he never even heard of any empoyees even managers using an Iphone provided by their work.

And if it was a gift it must be from someone close family or friend and close families and friends would know their finanicial situation and would give something more usefull then an Iphone!

Thats what I think.
    Cocoon

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cocoon For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Inspired by Reggio, I just loved your above post hahahha