Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    Alphaghetti, I'm sure you meant good but what is "cutta yer jib" sorry me don't know Canadish
    Canadish, that's funny! Alpha is making reference to a sailing term and a jib is a part of a ship. It was definitely a compliment. It means 'I like your style' and I agree!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Oh OK. I knew she meant good

She did

Euphoric !
    Hee hee @ the last couple postings.... you girls are funny.

I wish I could double and triple like some of those above comments.
    For one; no, I would NOT discount my fees. And if someone is trying to negotiate them one of two things is happening. Either they are BRAND NEW to the daycare search, and have come at it completely unprepared. Tough nuts for you, I say. OR; they are going to be nickel and dimer's. Tough nuts for you, I say again.
    My husband works in financial services, and the unfortunate thing is, shows like Til Debt Do Us Part are NOT really the extreme anymore. I agree that in most situations; people choose what they can afford. A good friend of mine complained to me recently that she couldn't afford something and had to borrow from her mother to buy her kids clothes. This is after she drove to my house in a brand new truck (their second, and she's a stay at home mom, who could probably do without her OWN transport), came in with her GIANT Starbucks coffee (and I know it's not a once-in-a-while treat), slipped off her "Ugg" boots (no "knock offs" for her), and proceeded to tell me that she's never going back to work, because she "just doesn't wanna". **sigh** She then took this borrowed money and shopped at WalMart, right? NOOOOO. She went to the mall and HAD to go to Gap/Old Navy,etc.
    Please don't get me wrong; I like brand name stuff as much as anyone. (I loves me shoes...) But I CHOSE to have 4 children, and I want them to play sports, etc. If that means that we don't get brand new everything, I am OKAY with that!!! And because I/we CHOSE to have 4 children, that means that like it or not, I better find a way (until the hubby makes me 6 figures or more, lol) to bring some money into this house, or KEEP the money that is coming in already.
    I think what we are all trying to say is that, while we certainly have sympathy for those who are genuinely in tough situations; there are waaaaaay too many that have actually caused the "tough" situations for themselves. And yes, it is ALL about prioritizing.

There, I think that's about enough usage of the caps lock button for tonight. Can you tell this is a sore spot with me, lol??

Euphoric !
    Mom-in-alberta, you have listed an example of the kind of people that make me FURIOUS (note my cap locks, it makes me yell too) when they say I can't afford that. Exactly what I said - we CHOOSE what we can and cannot afford.

I've been on a first name basis with debt all my life and always will be probably but I've never watched that show you ladies mention. Is there anybody who isn't in debt in the civilized world?

Outgoing
    Momof4, I was debt free until I've got married We(well my husband) have a house so if we sell that one we will be debt free with no house. But we can start saving and can buy another one. I was and am always good with money. I don't even have a credit card. IF I have money in my pocket I will buy if I don't I won't. And also I'm never in desperate need about anything. I shop around and compare prices and when the item is on sale I purchase. For example, I buy toothpaste, toilet rolls, mouth wash etc. whenever they are on sale. I buy them even though I don't need them at that time but I know I will need them so I stock up. That was one example. And I never ever buy or would buy anything to show off people. I don't like to show off and no body needs to know what I have and what I don't have.

I think managing money starts from home and when young. My parents were and are good with their money so all my siblings. Our relatives and neighbours admired them and wondered how can they raise 4 children without breaking the bank? Now we all are studied and holding decent jobs.

We have to be very carefull with our finances and should not mix with what we need and what we can afford. And stay away from the banks!

Cocoon

Quote Originally Posted by Cocoon View Post
    Momof4, I was debt free until I've got married We(well my husband) have a house so if we sell that one we will be debt free with no house. But we can start saving and can buy another one. I was and am always good with money.
    Me too Cocoon! Both DH and I were debt free, and we choose to be debt free (minus the mortgage on the house) for the rest of our lives. We both came from 'old school' parenting. If you need it, but it; if you want it, you don't buy it!

We do have Credit cards, but pay them off right away. I prefer to have cash on-hand when I do groceries. DH and I make a list each month of items that need to be done in and around our home, and then items that are on our wish list (these might not get done, it all depends on how much is in the bank).

We have set up trust funds for my 4 nephews, so they no longer get 'gifts' from us for Christmas and birthdays, but once they turn 18, and go off to post-secondary school, they will get their trust funds.

As Cocoon stated:
    managing money starts from home and when young.
    and
    We have to be very carefull with our finances and should not mix with what we need and what we can afford.

Euphoric !
    I raised 4 children as a single mother, went to college as an adult and accrued student loans that I'm still paying and even though I worked a full-time job and a part-time job it was difficult to pay cash for everything, you know? And my children always thought they had it so bad because they never had everything their richer friends had, good grief! If I had married a great man the way you ladies were lucky enough to do it may have been a different story. It is good to know some people live debt free.

Student loans are an investment so not consumer debt ...I had those too which definitely too a while to pay down ... Just like a mortgage though it was an investment in better Jon prospects later in life ... what sucks is when we invest in education and never work in the field ...I got a second degree after my ECE as a back up plan for when I cannot physically do this however have yet to use it and the requirements for the field I took have changed yet again so likely would have to go back again when if the time comes - in meantime likely think I will do this until I drop dead from exhaustion
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Momof4, I don't think that the people that we are talking about in this thread have circumstances like yours...I am so sorry you had to go it alone and accrue debt, but you DID IT...I applaud you and every woman like you. I very much hope that I did not offend you with what I said. That was not at all my intention.