Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Toy hunting

jec

Toy hunting

I am always on the hunt for new toys ~ that I'm not paying full pop for!
    I love consignment stores and of course friends getting rid of toys that if you go that day to pick and get out of their house...are free !
    Anyone know of a great site to order toys from that aren't going to cost me a week's pay. I'm always looking at flyers but thought maybe someone know's a great site they want to share

Expansive...
    If you are looking for something specific then I would recommend kijiji. Have you tried that?

Other than that I get my stuff mostly at Walmart or Scholar's Choice/Mastermind but it does get expensive so I have to really think it over for a while about what I am going to get and whether I really need it.

To be honest I mostly get everything new because I am worried about recalls on older stuff or how clean it is. However...I am picking up some baby legos that I found on kijiji tomorrow.

Sometimes Walmart has great clearance sections in the toy sections during the week.

Starting to feel at home...
    Have you tried kijiji...tons of toys on that site. In the summer keep an eye out for yard sales in your neighbourhood and search for daycare closing sales.

Starting to feel at home...
    I really like All About Kids they are online and have a Wearhouse in Ottawa's east end.

Same as what zen said: Kijiji is awesome, as well as garage sales.

Make a list of what items you want, and put a max price on it that you'd pay for that item. I did this when I first opened up, and gave my mom and sister the list and they went to garage sales in their area when I went to them in my area. You'd be amazed at finding somethings for free, or next to nothing!

Great areas to go garage sale hunting is an adult neighbourhood. The grandparents there just want to get rid of the stuff! I found a wooden table and chairs set for $5 (originally around $120 in price), and a Radio Flyer tricycle for $5, it was barely used (original price is $80)!

jec
    I've never used Kijiji ~ funny eh. I hear about it all the time and never gone on it! I"ll try thanks!!

You can really find some great things at consignment stores!! A lot of times it's parents bringing in doubles of things given to them. I got a really cute tea set from Fisher price for the playroom brand new for $12! ~ in the package!
    Last edited by jec; 03-02-2012 at 11:50 AM.

jec
    I'm looking for a work bench type of toy ...they have them at toys r us ~ the Home depot tools. Off to kijiji I go!! I might end up getting it from there if I don't find it as I've been on the hunt for a while now!

Expansive...
    Oh forgot to say that you should also try the toy sections in Value Village/Goodwill if you have one near you.

Last time we moved - I gave a way trunk loads of stuff to Value Village. All in great condition but I was too busy packing etc to list everything on kijiji or have a garage sale so I decided to just purge

I still kick myself thinking how much I could have used that stuff once I opened the daycare. Instead I had to go buy it all again.

Spixie...ditto! Two months before I decided to open my day home, I gave away on Freecycle ALL of my kids' Little People - I mean, the barn, the city, the house, the garage, zoo, and about 50 of the little buggers. Sigh!

jec
    Oh no!! I bet you guys were kicking yourselves!! I've been open for 2.5 yrs and not looking for start up toys but, I'm always hunting! So I went on kijiji and don't they have one of the Black and Decker work benches in my town!! I sent an email and waiting to hear back. Wish me luck ~ $30 verses $90 on toys r us!