Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Administrator Starting to feel at home... admin's Avatar

CPR / first aid refresher courses

Hi everyone,

Do you make a point of following a CPR and/or a first-aid refresher course from time to time? Do you feel that once a year is enough, too much, or just about right?
    It's all about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best!

I keep my CPR up-to-date (each year), although my first aid is outdated, but am going to do this soon! I don't want to be caught off guard with any injuries (and probably should have it for my dance school too!).

I actually lost a parent (would have had the child 1 day/wk to start) because they saw that I didn't have my first aid up-to-date. Not a big loss for me though - would have been tough on the poor child!

Euphoric !
    I take the refresher course once a year. It makes me feel more confident and it only takes a few hours as compared to the full weekend one that I took the first time from the Red Cross. Then I post my nice fresh CPR/First Aid course card on my bulletin board for parents to see which makes them feel more confident leaving their children in my care.

jec
    I take a refresher course once a year as well

I do the annual refresher each year as well for the same reasons as Momof4 ~ however just a note that this thread is from March 2011 and I think it was bumped today by a spammer basing that on the fact that it is a new person, from the States with a 'link' in their post that likely has absolutely nothing to do with first aid
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Hi,

Where do you ladies take your annual refresher once a year? Is it an online class or in a class room? How much does it cost ? My red cross First Aid have expired in April 2014 and I want to update it before I start my home day care..... Im in Ontario.

Thanks for your help! :-)

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Hi everyone,

Do you make a point of following a CPR and/or a first-aid refresher course from time to time? Do you feel that once a year is enough, too much, or just about right?
    It's all about preparing for the worst while hoping for the best!

This one thing that I always make sure is current. I let police checks expire unless I have vacancy but never let my first aid or CPR expire. I always do a refresher.

Suzie Homemaker where do you take your refresher each year? Do you take it online or its in class? What are the cost for a refresher?

Thanks!

Euphoric !
    Red Cross or St John's Ambulance offer first aid.

Outgoing
    I have done many of these over the years, in Ont. and Que. Last time I called St. John Ambulance in Ottawa, I was told that for the first aid and CPR, if you haven't done it with them before or if you were more than three years out of date, or if you were up to date but with another agency, you had to take their whole weekend course (Sat and Sun). If you are up to date with them the refresher is one full day every 3 years.

In the system here, in order to be licenced, we have to have a full day (8hrs) every 3 years. Starting last year, we also have to make sure that the course includes a section on Epi-pen and severe allergies. Last time I took it, it was with the Heart and Stroke foundation. That's only cuz the guy who gives the course has chosen to go with them. And a lot of the info, especially in the CPR part has changed since I did it last. (I updated last Aug.) I have to say, though, I'm glad it's only every three years. I don't sleep for a week after taking it!