Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sleep time

Shy
    AHHHHHHHH.......

We are on nap #6 of letting her cry it out. This girl is STUUUUBORN!!! She has cried in the playpen for up to two hours. I tried going in every ten minutes, not talking, just laying her back down. I've tried just letting her cry, without me going in at all.

Yesterday she didn't sleep ALL day...I had her from 9am - 5:15pm...she's 11 months old, and she did NOT sleep! She was so overtired by noon that she was so fussy and clingy for the entire afternoon.

This morning she showed up tired. Mom said she wouldn't go to bed last night either, she slept from 9:30pm - 6:00am...and then napped on the 20 minute drive to my house from hers. I took her up to my room (where her play pen is) at 10am...I cuddled her for 5 minutes, offering her a bottle, which she wouldn't take. She fell asleep in my arms after 3 minutes!!! Seriously...she was SO tired. I put her in her playpen, asleep...and she woke up and screamed. It's 11:45 and she is still screaming!

I know I could get her to sleep if I rocked her or even rubbed her back, but I just can't let that be her soothing mechanism. I'm soon going to have three other children in my care.

I'm going crazy!!!! Not to mention, the poor little girl is totally exhausted!!!

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by soranea View Post
    Have you tried putting her on a cot on the floor? I had a similar issue with a 10 month old who would not sleep in the crib/playpen, so I finally put him on the floor so I could rub his back, and he was happy and fell asleep pretty quickly that way. Just an idea.

This might be possible for afternoon nap, when everyone is napping...I don't mind sitting beside her, rubbing her back. But the older children are not napping in the morning, and she is.

Euphoric !
    I had a child like that last year and what finally worked was moms pillowcase from home ( with her scent on it) and in a pitch black room and her music machine from home ( ocean wonders) the kid screamed for me for a week and never gave in ever I moved her from room to room tried rocking till asleep but as soon as I leaned over twept her down she was back into a full out scream until we tried this and she went to sleep the first time without a peep and I never had a problem after that. Is this maybe an option?

Outgoing
    WOW! I've had some tough ones, but I think this one tops them all! Poor you. I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Sounds like you're doing everything to help her learn to sleep. Patience, I suppose. I had one that I had to put in a room in the basement a couple of years ago (it's a finished basement), but the others all sleep up in the bedrooms....She eventually graduated upstairs.
    It'll pass...she'll learn. It's just a matter of time, although, you're right, she does seem stubborn!
    Good luck!

Starting to feel at home...
    I totally feel for you. I had my first "rocked to sleep" baby last April and let me tell you, I learned really quickly that I couldnt spend an hour up there soothing him to sleep.

It seemed the parents weren't really on board with sleep training (they totally baby him at home). So I took it into my own hand to sleep train him.

It took a while, with many steps, but now he goes to sleep very quickly when I place him in his playpen. It's all about routine so he expects it.

I just placed him in his playpen and sat there beside, sometimes rubbing his back. After about a week he finally fell asleep on his own. I would place him lying down if he got up and started to cry. Then getting out of the room was hard. I would gradually go further and further away from him until eventually he was so good at falling asleep on his own that I would just leave him.

To this day the mom still doesnt know how he sleeps so goo here. They STILL rock him to sleep and he still wakes throughout the night to get to soothe him. He's almost 2 yrs old....YIKES!!!
    ~~Proud Mama and Owner/Operator of Cutie Pie Daycare~~

Euphoric !
    I thank my lucky stars that I have had great nappers all along. I do admit to holding babies and giving them their bottles for the first month or so, but at the same time I'm teaching them to hold their bottle. By the second month I hope that we have bonded and they are happy enough drinking their bottle in their playpen. Usually my little ones roll over and go right to sleep.

I make sure 11 month olds are dropping their morning naps when they start here because we go outside shortly after 9am almost every morning for hours. I serve breakfast at 8am, lunch at 11am, or shortly after and tuck in all the children for naps shortly after 12. They sleep for 2 or 2 1/2 hours every single day.

I do believe in crying it out, but since my children all sleep on the same floor it has to be stopped ASAP here. I hope never to have a child like you are describing! I've had children who screamed and cried for months on end, but at least they were good nappers so I would have a quiet sanity break in the middle of the day.

Euphoric !
    It sounds like she is over-tired. I had a little one who was having a hard time napping (his mom said he only has one nap), but I started giving him a short morning nap and then he started sleeping better in the afternoon (and at night for his parents). Sleep begets sleep. Overtired babies sleep less, not more. I say tough it out and stick to one strategy. If you keep switching tactics, the little one doens't know what to expect from you and doesn't feel secure. Crying will not kill her (nor you although it is tough!). Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I'm happy to announce that this child is SO MUCH easier. She now usually cries for about 5 minutes after I put her in her playpen...and then she sleeps for an hour or more. The mother is having much better nights with her, and an easier time putting her down for bed also. The little girl is much happier during the day, smiley, chatty, and even laughing sometimes. She is not as clingy...and ventures off on her own a bit more (as long as she can see me). There is still some room for improvement, but at least I've seen some progress...and feel MUCH MUCH better!!

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by ARL-G View Post
    She does have a blanket from home...but I don't think she cares about it. She is in the playpen now (I'm trying to keep myself occupied). It's so hard to hear her cry...but I know it has to happen.

Are you using white noise its works like a dream for my daycare kids.

Euphoric !
    Oh I'm so happy you are seeing progress. Patience and perseverence do pay off. Great work ARL!!!