Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    It is funny because I didn't start school until I was 6 and somehow ended up being a straight A student I just think there is way too much pressure too early when it comes to this stuff! When are kids allowed to just be kids anymore? Now we have to start them on their numbers and letters before they know how to talk or walk. Don't get me wrong, I am totally for exposing them to all of this and giving them opportunities to practice skills, but I just don't believe in pressuring them to practice more because they must be able to do it before they start school. Every kid is different and as Playfelt said, boys tend to be a bit slower with things like writing. My son is in JK this year and he is only now able to sort of write his name...very messily and has only been drawing stick figures and faces for a few months. My 2.5 year old daughter, on the other hand, just amazed me this morning by drawing a happy face and writing the letters "A" and "C" and "O"....I never showed her how to write them although she has seen me helping her older brother. I guess it's time to get her writing and I hadn't even thought of it before...just assumed she was too young. So...two kids in the same family and same exposure to reading/writing etc...totally different skill levels. Kids will do these things when they are ready if given a chance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We also have to remember the age range of JK too in the sense that some kids turn 4 in January and are almost 4 3/4 years old when they start school and some won't turn 4 till Dec so are only 3 3/4 when they start school. Teachers are totally prepared for this discrepency so in that sense there is not as much panic to "get them ready". Teaching them how to learn, how to work independently and with peers and a desire to want to learn will take them further than agaonizing over how to hold a pencil correctly.

Shy
    I think the school is trying to be proactive and showing that parents, daycare providers and teachers are a team that all work together. That learning shouldn't start and stop at school.
    I have a friend who is a kindergarten teacher here in Manitoba and she says every kid ranges from having some of the skills mentioned to none. Obviously she would for sure like parents and providers to at the very least have a child ready for a structured schedule and somewhat independent (teacher has no time to dress kids for going outside or helping them go to the washroom). Kids all do catch up to their peers and so I don't think you need to fret too much if your child can't do all that is listed. I think as long as you are aware that learning isn't only in a classroom you will be good.

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh I totally agree with you! but I was working on my educational program and those will help me tons. Of course they might not be able to do all those things... but we can practice for sure

Shy
    I do love that you posted the list. Its a good reminder of the many skill that kids will eventually learn whether it ends up happening at your daycare, in their homes or at school (due to kids learn at different paces you really can not tell when they will acquire their skills). I will definitely keep the list in mind when I plan activities at my daycare. Kids are such sponges thirsting for more knowledge, I look forward to giving them loads here!

Outgoing
    Every kid I've ever had was able to do all of those, but not through pressuring them...just having fun and it happened. However, right now I have a guy who's 4 1/2 (they start at 5 here is Quebec) and struggles with colours. Usually he gets the correct colour on his second guess. Doesn't recognize a single letter of the alphabet nor a single number. Actually he doesn't know if it's a letter or a number. Try as I may...and I sure do. It just doesn't stick. But he's a good listener and cooperates.

Like I said, I've sent 7 to kindergarten so far, and they all knew at least 50% of their letter and recognized numbers at least to 5...the girls usually to 10. And wrote their names and often a friend's name, too.

Thanks for the list!

Euphoric !
    I answered the question last year on the first page of this thread and have some new children in care since then but still stand by my answer. I use flashcards and teach the alphabet and numbers, we learn shapes, colours, cutting with scissors and all kinds of crafting, games, stories but I still think the most important thing for the children to learn is listening, co-operating, socializing and proper behaviour with manners so they get along with other children.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: