Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar

Confused By tax calcualtions

Hi ladies, I am going to be sending all my tax info into accountant this week. But I was wondering if this is true... I was told that you can claim the amount of hours you spend working on things for the dayhome while the kids are not present. Is this true? For example, the time you spend setting up and doing lesson plans and cleaning. If so, how do you go about calculating this? Thanks

Two ways - actually keep a log of how much time you do eat each week - or track an 'average' week and than make reasonable guesstimate .... I average about an hour a work day in prep / clean up / shopping - I add this to my 'shared expenses' calculation because I am using extra heat / hydro and so forth during this time so I am open and caring for children for 10 hours a day but calculate 11 hours with the additional 'prep time' for work.
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inspired by Reggio For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... little rascals's Avatar
    Thanks for your help. That is what I was figuring. I was thinking about an hr per day too. Just wanted to make sure it could be used for taxes. Tax time makes me so nervous. This is my first year doing taxes for dayhome so Even more nerve racking. Hopefully all goes well lol

Euphoric !
    Don't forget the work on the weekends of laundry, washing toys, etc. I normally add two hours per day. The one hour is for getting ready to open and parents arriving a bit early and the other half hour at the end of the day for cleaning up such as putting outside toys away. The other hour is for cleaning, meal prep, lesson planning. Also remember that your hours of work are from the time the first child arrives till the last child leaves so for many that will add an extra hour if you have some kids that arrive early and some that arrive later but then because of that go home earlier. I started out keeping track but quickly learned that it was pretty much the same every week so just started using the average.

Euphoric !
    Oh my, I never even thought of that!! I just claimed the hours of operation that the daycare was open, and didn't account for meal planning, craft prep, or clean up (which is probably the biggest one!!).
    Thanks....

Outgoing
    When claiming this, what do you pay your self for this extra time? Is it considered overtime? Are you only doing this if you're with an agency or private too?
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    You don't actually pay yourself anything. In the calculation for business use of the home one of the figures you need to include is the number of hours the home was in use to run your business. You can use a figure over 24 or you can use a total number of hours over 168 (total number of hours in a week). Either number gives the same answer. The actual calculation is in the using your home for daycare brochure on the revenue canada website. It therefore isn't income that you earn but an additional deduction that you can take from what you were paid by the daycare parents.

Euphoric !
    Your taxes are the same whether you are with an agency or private. You can claim the same things.

I totally think I am going to up mine to two hours a day too - cause in addition to food prep, program prep and cleaning/daycare laundry - I forgot all the nights of interviewing when filling a spot!
    Children construct their own intelligence. The adult must provide activities and context, but most of all must be able to listen. Children need proof that adults believe in them. Their three great desires are to be listened to, to understand, and to demonstrate that they are exactly what we expect."
    Loris Malaguzzi

Outgoing
    I think I'll be adding time for that too. I currently work 6am-6pm (meaning there are children in my home that don't belong to me seriously for 12 hours) then after they leave I have to clean and get everything ready for the next morning...not to mention the time to reply back to requests, update ads and interviews for sure ( I have yet to have an interview under an hour long). Do you think they would question 14 hour work days?