Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Please tell me if my contract is okay..

Welcome to my day care (will put correct name of day care here of course).

Contract:

Trial period: 'There will be a one month probation period for newly accepted families and if the contract is terminated by either party within the first month payment is only required for the days for which childcare was provided.

Toilet training: I will be happy to work with the parent/guardian on toilet training the children once the child is showing signs of being ready to learn, but toilet learning is a gradual process and works best when both the parents and home childcare provider are positive and consistent in their approach. Toilet training must be progressing well at home and the child must be at the point where they know when they need to use the toilet before I will have the time to help them to the bathroom at daycare. Once that point has been reached I will make every effort possible to assist daily to encourage the child to stay dry and use the toilet regularly. Containment in the form of rubber pants over underwear or pullups must be used until one full month without accidents has occurred at daycare to prevent extensive, time consuming cleanups during daycare hours.

Medical permission: Child care provider to call 911 and use ambulance that parent/guardian has to pay for in an emergency when urgent care is needed.
    Health card number of child:
    Child's Doctors phone number and address:

Naps: If required tick Yes
    If naps not required quiet period will be in place for 1 hr morning, and 1 hr afternoon.

Outdoor fresh air time will be given, and is weather dependent.

Please ensure to provide one spare set of clothes and dress children appropriately to the weather that day.

Snacks will be provided, due to allergies you provide the meals.

Opening times are 7 am to 6pm, any late pick ups are subject to a $5 late fee every 15 minutes.

Payment must be in advance, Monthly, or bi-weekly.

Termination: Notice to terminate is subject to two weeks notice and payment must be made for care provided. Any termination without a two notice must be paid in full. If a monthly payment was made, two week notice in advance to terminate means the remaining two weeks will be refunded.

Persons with permission to pick up your child: On your written consent only. As an extra security, a password will be provided and the person picking up your child other than yourself has to give me that password first or child will not be released.

Name of person(s) picking up or dropping off your child:

emergency contacts:

medical treatment release:

Dr info:

*Note: "no calls" 'no shows" without notifying child care provider beforehand and "no payments" are all grounds for immediate termination.

Absent days: I charge 35 a day per child. I do not charge for stat holidays or any time I take off. I allow clients 1 week (7 days off) without paying and all clients must pay in full for any further vacation in order to hold the space for your child.

If your child is sick, has a fever, temperature, head lice, rash, or any communicable disease such as flu, you must keep your child at home. Similarly if your child develops any illness while in my care you will be notified immediately to come and collect your child and must keep them home for up to 24 hrs after the illness clears up, this is to protect all other children in the child care setting.

Failure to collect your child due to illness/ end of days care, means I will have to contact your emergency contact in the first instance after first calling you, and failing that children's services will have to be informed. A late fee of $5 every 15 minutes will be enforced.

Please provide your child's normal routines in space below, and include
    what makes them happy, sad, and what activities they enjoy:

(parent to sign below on agreement of service provided): I agree to the above contract

Parent signature ____________________ ______________

Dated: ____________________ _______________

Expansive...
    I think you need to be more specific in the areas of what type of clothing required - break it down per season on what you need and stress how important proper clothing is. It really affects your day if they aren't dressed appropriately.

What happens if fees aren't paid on time? Daily late fee? Refusal of care?

Your sickness policy also needs to be more specific. How long for each type of illness must they be absent from care? How high does the temp need to be for a fever? For example, I have in my policy that after two bouts of diarrhea in one day the child must be sent home and cannot return until atleast 24 hours symptom free.

Be sure to have a set drop off and pick up time that is written in the contact. I don't charge late fees if they pick up within my official hours of operations, but I make it clear that in order to run my program effectively I need to know what time they are being dropped off and picked up. I can't be waiting around all day for the parent to show up.

I wouldn't do the password for pick ups, just state that you will require photo identification for anyone picking up that you have not already met.

Also state that it is your legal obligation to report any suspected child abuse.

Have the parents give a minimum notice period for taking holidays (like a month, a week, whatever), and make sure it is kept track of if they are letting them take days off unpaid. Have them sign off as they days are taken.

If you are letting parents have unpaid vacations days, I would have them pay for your stat holidays. All those unpaid days you are offering really affect your income in the long run. You will find that most daycares providers on here charge for stat holidays. Also be sure to list what the stat holidays are so there is no confusion.

Do you have a deposit paid at the time the contract is signed? Be sure to state how much it is, what it is applied to (first two weeks of care or last to weeks of care) and that is NON-refundable.

Do you have a behaviour management policy? What would you do if you have a violent or aggressive child? Be sure to have some type policy how you would handle it and what would the grounds for termination?

What happens if you are sick or have a doctor's appointment? How much notice will you give? Will you charge the full day rate if you close early for an appointment?

Include an indirect supervision section, stating how the children will always be supervised but at time it will be indirectly since you are the sole provider of care. So if you need to leave the room (food prepping, bathroom, etc) that you will ensure the children are all safe even if they aren't in your direct eye sight. State some example of what you will do to ensure they are safe.

I would make the nap time/quiet time less specific because as the kids get older they will go down to one nap a day. Just state that everyone must have a quiet time every day, even if they don't nap. Give some details of what they will do during that time period.

I'm sure there is more, but I am out of time!

Shy
    Thanks for that I'll titrate it a bit to state what you said.

I did state already about refusing care and immediate termination if no payment made for care in advance, or no shows, no calls etc.

What age group do you care for? Do you find it easier to have babies and ages up to age 3 for ongoing clients and less easy for school age children? Not had any calls yet my end but did only list it yesterday.

Euphoric !
    I agree with everything Amanda said.

Personally I would charge for all stats as well as family vacation days. I started giving a $5 reduced rate on holiday time ONLY when I am given 1 months notice. This really helps families get organized and actually tell me their schedules instead of last minute. I still get some money when they take holidays and they feel like they are getting a deal. I wouldn't offer 7 days no pay - could you afford it if all families took the exact same time off? Would it be ok for families to use their holiday time for sick days (they just wont tell you their child is sick?) What about those who leave after just a month or 2? They will end up only giving 1 weeks notice and then using their 7 unpaid days.

Also I would increase your notice to 3-4 weeks. 2 weeks isn't long enough to fill spots in most cases. I also wouldn't have the month trial period either. Just set out a full set if reasons for termination and leave it at that. You will have passed over people to fill a spot only to have the one you took not work out and give no notice the first month, that is so frustrating! You should be given proper notice so that you can take the time to fill the spot and not loose too much money.

Late pick up - increase your fee! I charge $1 per minute past my closing time. Consistent late pickups are grounds for termination. Also late payment fee. My payment is due Friday at drop off. Late fee of $15 starting at noon that day. No I will not wait until pick up time just because you forgot your cheque. They will only pay the late fee once and never forget again! It isn't giving them permission to be late, it is punishment for being unorganized.

Also what do you expect the parents to provide. Diapers, bottles, clothing, sunscreen, bug spray, bedding, car seats, sippy cups? Yes be very specific in what clothing you require for all seasons (waterproof mitts!). Do you allow soothers? toys? stuffed animals?

For myself I only have 1 nap time here. All children are quickly transitioned into 1 nap (2.5 hours). For those who don't nap quiet activities are provided (coloring, puzzles, TV). Also I ask NO drop off's or pickups take place during this time. This is also YOUR break time so make sure parents understand that.

You should also have a consent form for any trips/outings you take as well as any photos you take of the children.

Set out a pay schedule - you tell your families what you prefer so pick one (bi-weekly or monthly) and have the same for everyone.

Renew your contract yearly. That way you can go through it every year and make any changes that you need to. I give my families my new contract every year at Christmas time and it is effective January 1st.

What about receipts. When do you provide them? For myself I provide them at the end of the year or when care is terminated. Do not give out receipts until all fees including late fees are paid (put that in your contract).

**For me personally I prefer 15 months to 5 years. The older kids are hard on toys, teach the little ones bad things and are harder to entertain.
    Last edited by mickyc; 08-07-2014 at 09:37 AM.

Euphoric !
    I'm not a fan of long, wordy contracts but I think yours may be too short. My parent package is a 5 page contract, 1 page sick policy, 1 page permission form, 2 page child info sheet and 1 page of yearly payment schedule.

The other ladies have given some good suggestions!

Shy
    Thank you ladies, I will certainly incorporate the tips you've given me, I did 2 weeks notice as day cares around here do the same and they may like the day cares more for that reason.

But I'll have paid leave for them and not for me in that case too and stat hols too to be paid for. Some stats I will work anyway and mind children I think.

For now I'm sticking to my agency nurse job for night shifts (2 a week average) to ensure work as no clients yet anyway.. age 2 yrs months to 5 or 6 yrs is a good idea, as my child gets older though I should increase that age maybe? He's almost 5 himself, I hear you on them not all being good but most at his school are shockingly good and taught responsibility and to look after the younger ones and after and before care I'll do for his school so again, am sure an older age range won't be an issue in this way.

Outgoing
    A friend of mine was asking "Do all daycare providers have a contract?"...what are the cons? She said her daycare provider does not have a "contract"

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackcomb View Post
    Thank you ladies, I will certainly incorporate the tips you've given me, I did 2 weeks notice as day cares around here do the same and they may like the day cares more for that reason.

But I'll have paid leave for them and not for me in that case too and stat hols too to be paid for. Some stats I will work anyway and mind children I think.

For now I'm sticking to my agency nurse job for night shifts (2 a week average) to ensure work as no clients yet anyway.. age 2 yrs months to 5 or 6 yrs is a good idea, as my child gets older though I should increase that age maybe? He's almost 5 himself, I hear you on them not all being good but most at his school are shockingly good and taught responsibility and to look after the younger ones and after and before care I'll do for his school so again, am sure an older age range won't be an issue in this way.
    I am keeping the daycare kids around the same age as my own two daughters, so I have some around 2 years old and some around 4-5 years old. If you have a 5 year old then you probably want some kids around his age so he can play with them, otherwise he will be bored being around all babies.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    A friend of mine was asking "Do all daycare providers have a contract?"...what are the cons? She said her daycare provider does not have a "contract"
    I can't think of any cons, a contract protects the provider and make all expectations very clear and laid out. Makes it hard to be taken advantage of - for both the provider and the parents.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AmandaKDT For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Have to admit the ones I have used recently didn't do a contract either and you paid per time, on the day or after it, the one I use now is not bothered if I pay her at the next date instead of the one I am taking him on (when I rushed out the door to get to work on time and forgot to grab a cheque for example).

She seems to retain her clients.

Personally I'd not want the hassle of being messed around so for me a contract is a must, especially as it's just me managing it all.
    Early on when I did this away from home taking my then baby with me, the odd person tried it on.. well one did she was on welfare and I did not like working for her due to her trying to play hard done by with paying me even though she knew up front I charge in advance, I didn't let her get away with it, I did that week and that was it, on the other hand I got paid very well by someone who used a nanny mostly and was charged far too much as they do! She wanted me for her 3 daughters instead ongoing and she lived at a hotel!! as I was a far better rate (didn't own my own house then).

Mine I have used in the area all charge $30 but $25 overnight care my current one or $30 daytime. I just did a search in my immediate area and four came up including my own listing and were at $35 per time, so $5 more. I have limited myself to 5 children including my own (I don't want to over do it plus it's more than enough for me and safer too). I did age 2-6, and you are right I too want my child's age more than too young ones, my son prefers his age or a bit older if honest, he behaves better with them ha. If he won't listen to me he'll listen to an older girl commonly.
    Last edited by blackcomb; 08-07-2014 at 01:11 PM.